Thread: Can't change wallpaper in Windows 7 Starter

Can't change wallpaper in Windows 7 Starter

I have Windows 7 Starter Edition, here is strange thing happening is i can't change the wallpaper anymore? doesn't it support basic function like changing wallpaper ? in the personalization option on the context menu isn't available! in previous it was available in windows 7 rc ultimate edition. please give me info about it, does anyone else using windows 7 starter edition? thanks for you time.

Re: Can't change wallpaper in Windows 7 Starter

Right click on Desktop -> Personalize at the bottom left of the screen there will be a option for desktop background. It will bring a window up and you can choose any picture or wallpaper that you want from your computer. I do follow this procedure in my windows 7, but its not starter, i'm unsure about it, but i think it should be similar method.

Not in Windows 7 Starter edition. For whatever reason, the ability to change custom wallpapers has been removed. Windows 7 starter doesn't support the following things:

• Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
    • Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
    • The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
    • Multi-monitor support.
    • DVD playback.
    • Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
    • Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
    • Domain support for business customers.
    • XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

It's really cheap thing microsoft doing, I don't understand why a user wouldn't be able to change the desktop wallpaper. It doesn't make sense as to why someone couldn't change something as simple as a wallpaper. Well buddy my advice for you is to use Third-part wallapaper changer in windows 7 starter, otherwise remove windows 7 starter and upgrade to higer version.

You can use Stardock MyColors to change Windows 7 Starter wallpaper. It entirely bypass that restriction.

Hi, I recently bought a laptop with Windows 7 Starter edition. For whatever reason, the ability to change custom wallpapers has been removed and I don´t have the option to change the one that comes with the computer. Can I up grade windows 7 and How ? What else should I do?

I realize this thread is rather old but I put it out there for those who might be using Google, Yahoo, etc. to find a solution.

I bought an Acer "netbook" with Windows 7 starter edition.

In answer to one question: YES, you can upgrade to the full version of Windows 7 for j&79.99 thru Microsoft and have all the features including the easy desktop wallpaper change:

Microsoft Anytime Upgrade: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...oduct/83D7A62A

To the first question tho: Using Windows "as is" you can NOT change the wallpaper except for the various ones you will find if you RIGHT click on the desktop and choose "personalize". I'm not at that machine. That might not be an option, either.

HOWEVER, if you reeeally want to change the picture, you might try this 3rd party site which has downloads for changing the wallpaper. I have not used this program:

there is also a program called Samurai or something like that which I used once and haven't used since cuz it's a little bit time consuming (20 minutes to learn and still a couple of minutes of screwing around once you know what you are doing).

Basically, Windows 7 Starter has a single name for the wallpaper called wallpaper.jpg That's it. It's the only one you can use and, without a 3rd party program it will NOT let you simply change the names of the file in that folder even if you are the administrator and only user (and we wonder why Microsoft is the ass end of so many jokes).

I know this is not a complete solution but I hope it helps. Use Google's "advanced search" option at the below right of their main search bar and make sure that the words "windows 7 starter change wallpaper" are in the field that requires ALL the words to be found or you will forever be plowing thru basic information on how to change the backdrop in regular Windows 7

garyr9001 Guest

Recently i have bought an Assus EeePC Seashell netbook with windows 7 on board, you may think "WHOA kewl" but hold your horses. Most netbooks on the market nowadays are sold with windows 7-yes- but it's only a Starter Edition which is good if not great for low-end PC's and netbooks.Why am I writing this then?
    "Windows 7 Starter does not include:
    Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
    Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
    The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
    Multi-monitor support.
    DVD playback.
    Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
    Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
    Domain support for business customers.
    XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 01-07-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: External links not allowed, not even in signatures. Removed the same.