Thread: Windows 7 Theme Naming Problem

Windows 7 Theme Naming Problem

Windows 7 Theme Naming Problem
    Windows 7 has a problem with creating themes some times that will not install after a sucessful creation, it makes the theme file with no errors or complaints but does nothing when clicking on the .themepack file. It only does this as far as I have found in one situation and I must be the first person to come across this as I could not find anything on the issue at MS or on the web. Every thing works fine until you name a theme pack with a 8 character word followed by a space and more words for the pack title. If you use 7 or less characters followed by a space your fine. It has nothing to do with the folder the images are in or the format of those files and is only to do with what you choose for a name when creating a shared theme. Below is the naming of themes I've created and what I found needed to be changed in order to get my theme's sharable.

These Theme Names Work
    Abstract
    Alaska Eagle
    Amazing
    Asian
    Audio Jungle
    Australia
    Bliss
    Characters
    Fentezi Fantasy
    Girls Nude
    India
    NASA Endeavour
    Nature
    Nature Scenes
    Nature Scenes - Forests
    Nature Scenes - Grand Canyon National Park
    Nature Scenes - Great Smokey Mountains
    Nature Scenes - Lakes
    Nature Scenes - Lightning
    Nature Scenes - Scenery
    Product RED
    Senery Too
    Sexy Girls
    Space Contrived
    Sunsets

These Theme Names Didn't Work
    ( but show the ones that do)
    _NOT: Charlize Theron
    DOES: Charlie Theron

_NOT: Webshots Premium
    DOES: Webshot Premium

_NOT: National Geographic - Landscapes
    DOES: N.G. - Landscapes

_NOT: National Geographic - Space
    DOES: N.G. - Space

_NOT: National Geographic - The Ocean
    DOES: N.G. - The Ocean

I've asked MS to look into this hopefully they will fix it in a upcomming KB#.

Re: Windows 7 Theme Naming Problem

In order to get rid of the above issue, you need to check out the following link. Whenever you install a 3rd party theme in Windows 7 and try to apply it using Desktop Personalization window, you might have noticed that it always shows "Windows 7" label for the installed themes instead of their actual names.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusgr8 View Post
    In order to get rid of the above issue, you need to check out the following link. Whenever you install a 3rd party theme in Windows 7 and try to apply it using Desktop Personalization window, you might have noticed that it always shows "Windows 7" label for the installed themes instead of their actual names.
    Ummmm, no that isn't the issue sorry but thanks for the input anyway.

I posted this bug issue on Microsofts site and they have agreed that it is a bug in their software as I reported it to be and are working on the fix.

Technet Forum Thread on this issue

FYI

ramchoudhary Guest

3d animation studio india

Hi sir,
    i hope you r right my answer
    Windows 7 Theme making is really nice but there is a bug in the armor, in some cases you can make a theme and it seems all is good but when you goto install the theme NOTHING happens,*no error and no theme is installed.
    I've banged my head on this as some of my self made themes where being problem matic and I wasn't sure if it was resolution, size, image titling, or what not.* I've also searched the web and no one has encountered or solved this issue.* After looking at many different aspects, folder names and renaming in the UserProfile I found the bug and it is how MS is handling the naming of the Theme profile.
    If you have a name for a theme that is 8 characters followed by a space and continued by a second, third, and so on word the theme will bom when you goto install it.* Change that name to a first word of 7 characters or less followed by multile words and no problem.

Thank you