Thread: change system tray icons

change system tray icons

Can anyobody tell me how to change system tray icons? Is there any way to customize the icons in the system tray? I have a Windows XP pc with Service pack 3 installed and it is running perfectly without any issues. As there are no graphical interface like vista in xp, so I was wondering to make it look more beautiful. Thanks
    "The answer is out there, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Re: change system tray icons

I found some interesting article or a way to change the icons in system tray. You will have to download PS Tray Factory, trial version from here. With this software you can hide an icon from the system tray and access to the menu of the hidden icon from the PS Tray Factory system tray menu.

I have found a way from which you could change the logo to a network meter in the registry:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm] 
    "ShowLogo"=dword:00000000
    I have not tested that but hope that it works.

Download ResEdit or ResHack by searching it on google then open it and search for the Control Panel Option you want to modify the icon of.Control Panel Options are stored as .cpl files in Windows\System32\ folder.There are different names for each option.For example nusrmgr.cpl for User Accounts and mmsys.cpl for Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.As an experiment , open the mmsys.cpl file , located in Windows\system32 folder , in any of the said applications.You will see an Icon named directory at the right side of the program.Jump into this directory and change the icon you want.Make a backup of your windows before making any changes.