Thread: How to enable screen saver in vista with hotkey

How to enable screen saver in vista with hotkey

Is there a hotkey in Vista x64 that starts up screen saver? I want to be able to just press a hotkey and activate my screensaver, and also have it ask for a password when i go back to my PC. is this possible?

Re: How to enable screen saver in vista with hotkey

First search for google result on "screensaver hotkey", You may found some related searches on that, or else There is hidden special effect for most default built-in screen savers that come with Windows Vista, To activate and trigger function on screensavers on Windows Vista, open a Command Prompt window (accessible via Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories). In the Command Prompt, change directory to %systemdrive%\Windows\System32 folder with the following command:

cd %systemdrive%\Windows\System32

I will provide you the easy and short cut key to enable screen saver for your desktop, windows+L is the quick-lock shortcut. It will lock the workstation like if a screensaver password had been turned on.Following are some of the short cut menus:
    • WIN-F -> Launch Search.
    • Ctrl-WIN-F -> Search for a computer on your network (requires Active Directory).
    • WIN-L -> Lock computer, requiring password to regain access.
    • WIN-M -> Minimize current window.
    • Shift-WIN-M -> Undo minimize current window.

I think this is not possible with the normal PC, you need to configure your PC with this, because the screen-saver does not run on the normal desktop (for security reasons). For your requirement their might be the special software to lock your desktop and show the screen saver, And locking the regular desktop is not a property of the screen-saver, it's a property of whatever runs the screen saver. So you'd need a program that knows how to start screen-savers the way the system starts screen-savers.

Quote Originally Posted by morphius View Post
    I will provide you the easy and short cut key to enable screen saver for your desktop, windows+L is the quick-lock shortcut. It will lock the workstation like if a screensaver password had been turned on.Following are some of the short cut menus:
    • WIN-F -> Launch Search.
    • Ctrl-WIN-F -> Search for a computer on your network (requires Active Directory).
    • WIN-L -> Lock computer, requiring password to regain access.
    • WIN-M -> Minimize current window.
    • Shift-WIN-M -> Undo minimize current window.
    Win-L does NOT trigger the screen saver, it just locks your computer so that the password is needed to get back to the desktop.

The only way to trigger a screen saver directly is to activate is by double clicking the icon or a shortcut to it or typing in the filename. This is insufficient, because it does not trigger the screen lock, only the screen saver. The only way you could create a hotkey that performed both functions would be using a third party utility, such as this one http://www.pretentiousname.com/miscs...tml#ScreenSave
    Last edited by GlassDeviant; 29-07-2009 at 11:13 PM.