Thread: Screensaver never comes on in Vista

Screensaver never comes on in Vista

I don't whats wrong with my Vista system. I just bought a new Vista Operating system for my brother yesterday. When i am trying to set a screensaver on this system, it just won't come on. I am able to preview the screen saver, but no matter how long I waited it would never come on. i need help from you all. Why the screensaver won't come on in my Vista ?

Re: Screensaver never comes on in Vista

I think its probably just another PEBKAC error.Right click desktop and choose personalize > screensaver.Be sure that there is a selection in the screensaver box. Use the small arrow to the right to drop-down options. If you have an item selected, choose another, pick the time before it starts and then hit Apply.Its also a known problem with certain wireless mouse.

With the wireless receiver attached, check for Windows updates and see if you're offered a driver for a "Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data Filter".To turn on Automatic Updates:
    • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
      • Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
      • Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
    • Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

The most probable cause for the issue like this in Vista is any wireless mouse or keyboard. Many times mouse movement or a keyboard key press causes the screen saver to turn off.This behavior may occur because of a startup program that is installed with the CyberLink PowerDVD software or the CyberLink PowerCinema software. The PCMService.exe program starts when the computer starts and interaction at some level between this and the Wireless reciever prevents the computer from becoming idle. Therefore, the screen saver and the other idle-related features do not start.Turn off the PCMService.exe program. To do so:-

• Open System Configuration. To open System Configuration in Windows Vista, click Start, type System Configuration in the Start Search box, and then click System Configuration in the Programs list.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    • On the Startup tab, click to clear the PCMService startup item check box.
    • Click Apply, and then click Close.
    • When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Many times this issue may occur if the PCM and DVDLauncher services are running in the background. The PCM service is part of the Dell operating system that is used to start media programs faster. The DVDLauncher is a program that is used for DVD playback. This issue also occurs in Windows Vista premium and in Windows Vista Ultimate because of the media center functionality that is built in. So try to remove the PowerDVD software.

1. Open Add or Remove Programs.
    2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    3. In the list of currently installed programs, click PowerDVD.
    4. Click the Change/Remove button, and then follow the steps that appear on the screen to remove the program.
    Thats it !!!