Thread: Recover missing Windows XP desktop files

Recover missing Windows XP desktop files

I am running Windows XP on my Sony VAIO laptop. Most often I save my important files which I need during my work. My files while on the desktop till Saturday but to day they suddenly disappeared. I am unable to find them on my hard drive. Where do they have gone? I can see My Computer and other such icons that comes by default with Windows but my files simply vanished. How is it possible? No one have even formatted the hard drive in the time being. I am sure because I can login with my username and password as I used to till Saturday. How can I recover my missing files from my Windows XP desktop?

Re: Recover missing Windows XP desktop files

Have you tried System restore? Its the best option in order to solve this type of problem. Otherwise if you have Desktop Cleanup Wizard enabled then disable it. For this go to Desktop and right click on empty area. Select Properties. Display Properties window will open up. Go to Desktop tab and click on Customize Desktop. At the bottom of the window that opens, you will find Desktop Cleanup frame. Uncheck the checkbox and click on OK and then OK once again to save the changes.

Have you tried regedit? Go to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Profile List

Here you will find 2 identical profiles but one having .BAK extension. This is nothing but the backup pf your profile. If you want to restore your profile then just rename it by removing the .BAK extension. Also change the DWORD value of this entry to 0. Now restart your computer.

I think your system security has been corrupted. I mean someone might have gain access to your computer and either deleted your files directly or deleted your user account folder and recreated it in order to remain at the safer side. So in my opinion there is no other solution other than system restore. It is also recommended to keep your password safe and secure and don't let anyone to know this. Also take the backup of your data once in a week or month.

you can check your recycle bin, or you may need some tool to help you get back your files.

try freeware first.