Thread: Desktop Environment and Windows Manager

Desktop Environment and Windows Manager

I am new to the Linux and hence I want to have the basics cleared here. I have tried starting with the Desktop Environment. Well what is the Desktop Environment? Also in addition to that I want to know what is the Windows Manager and is there any relation between the two. Are they different or are they same but are treated differently in the different operating systems. Please guys let me know I have some more questions that ate ticking in my head but for the time being I think that if this question is cleared it will be a great help. Also I would be happy if you all can suggest the Best one from the above two categories. Best Windows Manager and the best Desktop Environment for the Linux.

Re: Desktop Environment and Windows Manager

Well if at you are new to the Linux then on the first note let me welcome you to the world of Linux and after that I would like you help with the question that you have posted here, to start with the Desktop Environment and the Windows Manager. Then let me tell you that a Desktop Environment is basically a tool that makes available support for the icons, toolbars, applications, applets, and at the same time also provides with the abilities like drag and drop. On the same note I would like to tell that a Windows Manager acts like a control panel. It is used to control the placement and manifestation of application windows that are beneath the X Window System. But it fails to provide panels, applets, icons, etc.

I am here to tell you about some of the Desktop Environments that I have came across and I think that they will be of some business here. Please have a look at it and I hope that you will be able to find out the best one for you. I have here KDE, Gnome and Xfce.
    • KDE is a global free software community that generates an integrated set of cross-platform applications that are indented and designed in such a manner so that they can run on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, Solaris and Mac OS X systems.
    • On the other hand GNOME presents a simple to comprehend desktop for your GNU/Linux or UNIX system. It is based on GTK, the Gimp toolkit, which was at first developed for Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program).
    • About the Xfce, well it is somewhat similar to the Gnome. It is the new one on the Linux block. It is similar to the Gnome since it is also based on GTK. Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for various *NIX systems. I am of the opinion that this much of briefing will help you in a much better manner.

To clear the idea regarding the Windows Manager. I think that the above post much informative and at the very moment I am also sure that you would have really got the clear vision for the same. As I said that I am here for the Windows Manager and hence here is some of the detail information of the same. To start with I have twm, metacity, AfterStep, icewm and many more, but I am restricting myself here itself.

twm is actually a classic and at the same time a straightforward Windows Manager. I think that it is already on the Hard Disks of yours. It is basically the base for developing all the modern Windows Manager and hence has lot of importance in the History of the Windows Manager. It was originally know as Tom’s Window Manager, then it was known as Tab Window Manager and now it is called as Timeless Window Manager.

Now regarding the Metacity, it is a window manager that is used as default in the GNOME desktop environment and hence I think that here is relation that you were looking for.

Well I do not think that they are the same in any manner. I do not why even this thought came to your mind. Well I think that you have received much and a better explanation for the query of your and even if after that you are not content then you can have a view for the same on our forums. We have some of the similar topics that are discussed on the similar Title. I am of the opinion that you will definitely find them useful for your business. Here is the link and let me know if that helped you in any manner. Change Desktop Environment in linux?, Best Desktop Environment of Linux and K-Desktop Environment [KDE] 4.2.3 released.
    Also we have a thread that discusses about the issues with the Desktop Environment, well the link is here: Issue on Desktop environment.

Thanks a lot guys, I was also searching for something like this. Something much informative and at the same time a lot more descriptive. Well I am of the opinion that you all have given much priority to the Desktop Environment and I think that it is unfair with the Windows Manager and hence I would like to put some more light on the Windows Manager. Well I have link for the similar topic and I am of the opinion that you will find that much of your interest. Please see the link below and have a look at the thread: Top 10 Linux Window Manager