Thread: How do i get Show Desktop Icon on Windows 7

How do i get Show Desktop Icon on Windows 7

Hello Friends,

I'm running Windows 7 as my operating system. The problem is that i'm unable to get the show desktop icon of XP and Vista on my Windows 7. Can any body tell me that how do i get back show desktop icon on my Windows 7? Does any body knows about this issue? kindly provide me the correct logical solution for the above issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do i get Show Desktop Icon on Windows 7

Try to create a folder,then place a "Show Desktop.scf" file in there (either your standard Google-found kind or the script available at the bottom link), then right-click on your taskbar to create a "New Toolbar" that points to that folder. Turn off the text and titles on that new toolbar, change the icons to large size, and then put your new one-button toolbar where you'd like.

Note: If you wish to put it, close to the right of your standard tasks and pinned items, you'll compress them and require an extra click to get to them back on your system.

Follow the below steps mention.

1. Try to create a new folder anywhere you want on your system. For example you create a folder in E: drive. You can give it any name.

2. Now paste following code in Notepad and save the file with name "Show Desktop.scf" (including quotes) and the location should be the new folder which you created in 1st step:

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop
    3. Now right-click on taskbar and select "Toolbars -> New Toolbar" It'll open Browse dialog box. Select the folder which you created in 1st step and click on "Select folder" button.

4. Then, it will immediately add that folder to taskbar.

5. Now right-click on the taskbar and select "Lock the taskbar" to unlock it.

6. You'll see a placeholder to drag the new toolbar.

7. Right-click on the toolbar place holder and uncheck "Show Title" and "Show Text" options.

8. If you want to increase the icon size, right-click on the toolbar placeholder and enable "View --> Large Icons" option.

9. Drag-and-drop this toolbar to the left of taskbar.

10. Now lock the taskbar again and you have the "Show Desktop" shortcut back in Windows 7.

Note:- You can also use "WIN+D" key combination for the same thing.

Try to restore it, if it's deleted from your system. Open notepad and copy and paste below code :

Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop
    Now, save your file as ShowDesktop.scf to following folder C:\ Document and Settings \ Username \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Quick Launch . And then restart your system.