Thread: Show Hibernate button in Windows Shutdown Menu

Show Hibernate button in Windows Shutdown Menu

I am a vista user. I saw one of my friend's computer having Hibernate button along with the other buttons in shut down menu, that is.. Standby,turn off and restart. i would like to add Hibernate button to my computer's shut down menu as well. So could you guys please make me know how can i do that ?

Re: Show Hibernate button in Windows Shutdown Menu

The hibernate option is a very useful and time saver function for Daily Windows Users. To cause the Hibernate button to appear after you click Turn Off Computer, press the SHIFT key. When you press SHIFT, the Stand by button changes to the Hibernate button. But now there are two ways of enabling the Hibernate button in the shutdown menu.

Try this trick to enable the Hibernate option directly instead of pressing the Shift key each and every time:-
    1. Close all the open programs on your system to avoid errors while installing the registry key, before installing the hotfix.
    2. Open the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System’ key in the registry editor using ‘Regedit’.
    3. Create a sub-key with the name ‘Shutdown’ (without the quotes) using 'Edit > New > Key’.

4. Now create an entry called ‘ShowHibernateButton’ here using ‘Edit > New > DWORD value’ and open it.
    5. Lastly, change the value from the default ‘0’ to ‘1’ and confirm it by pressing ‘OK’.
    6. Close the registry editor after this and restart your system.

The Hibernate function in Windows will enable to save the current desktop as it is when we shutdown the system. When you Turn On windows again windows will restore the previous desktop you were working with earlier. So this way if you open a lot of programs in Windows you need not start or open the programs again when windows starts up.

Re: Show Hibernate button in Windows Shutdown Menu

You can even do that in another way that will put that button right where it belongs.

1. Download the KB875506 update from Microsoft.The hotfix contain a newer version of msgina.dll(5.1.2600.2833) that is necessary to enable the Hibernation button.

2. Now open up regedit from the run menu and browse to the following key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\]

3. Create a new key called "System" inside the up key, like this :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]

4. Create a new key again called "Shutdown" inside the up key, like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Shutdown]

5. While the key from step 4 is selected, move to the right panel of regedit and create a new DWORD value called "ShowHibernateButton" with a value of 1.

6. Restart the computer. The Hibernate button should now be available in your shutdown menu.