Thread: How to install Windows 7 icons

How to install Windows 7 icons

Hello,

I'm using windows 7 build 7000, and i want to know how to install icons..i know that they changed few icons in newer builds , i also want new icons on my build , any body know how to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Re: How to install Windows 7 icons

If you want to change the icon of any application or folder then simply right click on the folder or application name and select properties > shurtcut > change icon. Then, browse to the .ico file you wish to use and click OK.

You can use the desktop utilities like tuneup and windows blind and style xp to change the icons. I'm not sure whether they works on windows 7 or not.

How to change your Windows 7 desktop icons

• To change what icons appear on your desktop simply right-click on an empty portion of your desktop to bring up a menu.
    • You should now click on the Personalize menu option. Once you click on that option the Personalization window will appear.
    • Now you should click on the Change desktop icons menu option.
    • At this screen you can select the icons that you want to appear on your desktop.
    • In order to make it so a certain icon appears on your desktop, simply put a checkmark next to each icon that you want.
    • You may have also noticed a checkbox labeled Allow themes to change desktop icons. If you select this option, when you install a new Windows 7 theme, the theme is allowed to change the icon used to represent the various desktop icons.
    • When you are done selecting the icons you want, click on the Apply button and then click on the OK button. You will now be back at your Windows desktop and you will see the various desktop icons that you have chosen.

But how do you change it for multiple files/folders; etc. Like how would you apply an icon pack/theme separately?

Quote Originally Posted by valdigrad View Post
    But how do you change it for multiple files/folders; etc. Like how would you apply an icon pack/theme separately?
    You can try to use Transparent Shortcuts to Separate and Organize Your Windows 7 Taskbar Icons. If there is a single self-installing executable file inside the download, just unzip it and install. If the files are separate, then there should be a .theme file and an associated folder with the visual style and other author inclusions inside the .zip, (if it's packaged correctly).

The the file I have is a .zip, but it only contains the images. There is no .exe... is there a way to refer Windows to install those images? (Kinda like with the logon screen?)

You can try LogonStudio for that. By that you will be able to change a few clicks your login screen by choosing Windows Vista, such as your wallpaper. Namely that many themes are already available on the net. Of course, the program is free and a version for Windows XP is also available. Another tool for the same is Logon Loader. It can change the login screen of Windows. It is also free.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavier View Post
    You can try LogonStudio for that. By that you will be able to change a few clicks your login screen by choosing Windows Vista, such as your wallpaper. Namely that many themes are already available on the net. Of course, the program is free and a version for Windows XP is also available. Another tool for the same is Logon Loader. It can change the login screen of Windows. It is also free.
    I know how to do the logon screen, you just need to create a a background folder in Windows32, and get the .rar file that enables it...

What I don't know is how to apply a new icon separately to all current icons without having to do each one manually.

You can try to use IconPackager and ObjectDock Plus and with it you can manually correct these folders by using the 'Current Icon' drop down (folder Properties, Icon tab) to set the icon to another value. Whatever you choose from the dropdown list, a Yuumenco icon will appear when you click Apply you can then set the correct Yuumenco icon (20,0) and press Apply again, and the folder now behaves normally.

Man oh man do I love you! That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks you VERY much! (: