Thread: Do Windows 7 supports Logon UI background customization

Do Windows 7 supports Logon UI background customization

Hey Guys,

I'm running Windows 7 as my operating system. I don't know much about Windows 7. So i would like to know that do windows 7 supports Logon UI background customization? Does any body knows about it? Kindly suggest me your views on it. Any kind of information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Do Windows 7 supports Logon UI background customization

Most of you have probably already seen the new Logon screen in Windows 7 Build 7057 which recently leaked, although another much more interesting find lies behind it.

Rafael Rivera has recently discovered that Windows 7 will now have the ability to load images into the background of its Logon screen without having to use any third-party software or hacks.

According to Rafael this feature was actually designed for OEM's which is understandable since PC manufacturers such as Lenovo have been issuing a similar method on their own Windows XP based machines for quite some time. Rafael also states that it can be simply turned on and off via the Registry and some spare images that you may have such as desktop wallpapers.

First users need to enable the customization functionality by editing their registry:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background Look for the DWORD value "OEMBackground" should be set the Boolean value to 1 for enabled, 0 for disabled. Depending on users systems, this value may not exist by default.

Images are taken from an OEM folder located at "%windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds" and may not exist by default.

The default background image "backgroundDefault.jpg" is is stretched-to-fit when loaded. Custom sized images can be included with the following file names:
    • backgroundDefault.jpg
    • background900×1440.jpg (0.625)
    • background960×1280.jpg (0.75)
    • background1024×1280.jpg (0.8)
    • background1280×1024.jpg (1.25)
    • background1024×768.jpg (1.33-)
    • background1280×960.jpg (1.33-)
    • background1600×1200.jpg (1.33-)
    • background1440×900.jpg (1.6)
    • background1920×1200.jpg (1.6)
    • background1280×768.jpg (1.66-)
    • background1360×768.jpg (1.770833-)

As you probably know, Windows 7 build 7057, a build recently leaked to the public, sports a new login UI background. Delivering on the “more customizable” promise, Windows 7 now supports the ability to load images into the background of the login screen without the use of third-party software or manual hacks. Although this functionality was designed for OEMs in mind, it is pretty easy to turn on and off using regedit and some images lying around your hard drive.

First, a check is made to determine if the customization functionality is enabled or not. More precisely, a DWORD value named OEMBackground in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background key is checked. Its data, of Boolean type, defines whether or not this behavior is turned on, i.e. 1 for enabled, 0 for disabled. This value may not exist by default, depending on your system.