Thread: Taskbar preferences in Windows 7

idea Taskbar preferences in Windows 7

Hello Friends,

I'm running Windows 7 as my operating system. I would like to know that which Taskbar preferences should i go for my Windows 7. When i try to set my task bar preferences it shows me the following options:-

• Large or small icons?
    • Single or double height?
    • Combine or never combine?

Can any body suggest me how do i set my taskbar preferences by using the above option and which would suite more on my Windows 7? Does any body have any idea on the above issue? Kindly suggest me your views on the above issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Taskbar preferences in Windows 7

In the taskbar preferences you can select to group windows, so that each application only gets one button. You've been able to do this in Gnome, KDE and indeed, Windows, for many years now.

"You can even get the Quick Launch toolbar back, though we don't know why you would want to."

I have my taskbar height set to two rows, and the Quick Launch area reduced horizontally so that only three icons per row are shown. I have dozens of frequently used, but not always used, applications linked to the Quick Launch bar, so these can always be accessed by two clicks at most. The most frequently used applications are pushed to the area that is always shown, while the rest can be accessed by clicking the ">>". Quick Launch does exactly what it is supposed to do, provide me with a way to quickly launch frequently used applications. When I first heard about the changes in Windows 7, I was unhappy because it would require me to create a work-around, or fill my Taskbar with dozens of large icons. So I was glad to hear that the very useful Quick Launch bar has not been totally elimanated from Windows 7.

• You can still choose to not combine windows and get a much wider taskbar which may seem like a more classic look for folks used to Windows XP.
    • The preferences have been overhauled, no more compatibility bringing back the Windows XP taskbar, Windows 7 has a new taskbar and that is the way it is.
    • The new System Tray is all about grouping. Grouping notifications and Grouping tray icons.

Overall the taskbar in Windows 7 beta seems like a fine change — just not an immediately obvious awesome one. The way grouped application windows are presenting can still be plenty confusing to novices and long time Windows XP users, and the auto-grouping of system tray icons, while space-saving, will confuse the sin out of people used to working with their applications in their system tray.

The Show/Hide Desktop button is also an odd choice for premier desktop placement like it is. It started in Windows XP when that icon made it to the Quick Launch buttons and since then has had premier billing space — besides some tech people, I was never aware of normal people making huge use of this button. When I’ve shown it to normal users, their reaction has always been to think that all their apps just got “closed”.