Thread: The mouse pointer changes it appearance

The mouse pointer changes it appearance

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS, Firefox 3.0.10 and I do not know if my concern is mainly to Firefox, but since a few days when I go surfing in Firefox, sometimes my mouse change of appearance (sometimes it does lasts a long time, sometimes, as now, it can last very long). Ie it is in the form of an arrow, but takes different forms depending on where it is located. To give you an idea, when I click in a text, I get the cursor flashing at the same time the mouse pointer remains visible but under a different appearance.

Thank you for your help.

Re: The mouse pointer changes it appearance

Have you recently installed a new theme? Or a new set of pointers? Or activated a tracking pointer (in my case pressing CTRL, but it is a choice)

No, none of this.

An additional: I feel that my pointer is split. For example, when it passes over a link, instead of taking the shape of a hand, it takes the form of a hand but with contours ... I noticed that the mouse takes 3 different forms depending on where it is on the screen, always with the purpose of duplication.

I checked in "Appearance" there are several themes: human, glider, ... but I have not touched on these themes from a long time. I can not remember also how I did it to download some of them.

It is normal that the cursor changes its appearance depending on the situation on page for download, links, etc.. Firefox has its own theme cursor compiled with the program. The desktop environment with which you work, possibly Gnome also has its cursor theme, a theme that you can edit.

In principle, the theme of the desktop environment a priority on the application by Firefox. It is possible that the two themes of the cursor, that of Firefox and Gnome, interact so that in some cases two themes appear simultaneously or that one that covers more situations appear when the other does doing so. This is only a hypothesis, but I see a few times when I open a session with a theme and modify it during the session. As palantir, if you have activated the tracking of the cursor when you press the Ctrl key, then, a image waves in a time displayed above the pointer.