Thread: Edit the Grub Menu in Ubuntu

Edit the Grub Menu in Ubuntu

Hi.. I am using a Ubuntu Operating system and i need a small help from you all. My question is how can i change Grub Menu in my Ubuntu OS..? Please help Its urgent.

Re: Edit the Grub Menu in Ubuntu

Ubuntu Linux will installs a menu giving users a choice of which operating system to boot. This choice is usually between Microsoft Windows or Ubuntu. GRUB(Grand Unified Boot-loader) drives this menu. The menu will display for ten seconds. Well this was the definition of Grub menu, now lets go to your solution. Follow this steps to edit Grub menu in your Ubuntu:-

1. Boot Ubuntu, login as a user and start a terminal session.

2. Make a copy of the GRUB menu file as a backup by entering "cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_BU." Use this file to restore menu.lst if the changes fail.

3. Edit the menu using the command "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst."

4. Count the number of possible operating system choices. For example, when first installed Ubuntu will be the first O/S in the file. Lower down in the file will be Windows XP. Count other operating systems, if installed.

5. Find the line "default = 0." Grub sets the default to boot the O/S located as the first (0 relative) in the file menu.lst.

6. Change the line "default = 0" to "default = 1." Save the file and exit. This changes the default from Ubuntu to Windows XP. Ubuntu appears first in the file and first on the menu display. Windows XP is further down in the file and appears below Ubuntu on the menu display.

7. Restart the PC. Let the GRUB menu take the default to verify the change . The default is now set to 1 which means Windows will boot when no choice is made.

If you try to reach the GRUB menu with Nautilus webrowser that is included in your desktop, you will learn that you do not have access rights.

PHP Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst 
    The file menu.lst in which you edit the GRUB Menu will be opened in a simple text editor. Edit it and save your edits.

Thanks for the information guys..