Thread: How to Turn on/off Windows Update Automatic Updating in Vista

How to Turn on/off Windows Update Automatic Updating in Vista

Hello.. I am using a Windows vista system. My Windows Update Automatic Updating is off. Can anyone help me out telling me how to turn on or off Windows Update Automatic Updating in Vista ?

Its urgent,, Please help..

Re: How to Turn on/off Windows Update Automatic Updating in Vista

Windows Update is software designed to help keep your computer current and more secure by automatically downloading and installing the latest security and feature updates from Microsoft.Important updates provide significant benefits, such as improved security and reliability. You can also set Vista to automatically install recommended updates, which can address non-critical problems and help enhance your computing experience. Optional updates are not downloaded or installed automatically.If you want to Turn on/off automatic updating in Vista follow this steps:-

1. Go to Windows update by clicking on All Programs, then Windows Update.
    OR Open the Control Panel and Click on the Windows Update icon.

2. Click on Change settings.

Now to Turn On Automatic Updating:

3. Click Install updates automatically (recommended).

4. Under Recommended updates, check the Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box.

5. Under Update service, check the Use Microsoft Update check box.

To Turn Off Automatic Updating:

6. Never check for updates (not recommened).Like this

7. Click OK.

8. Click Continue for UAC prompt.

9. Close Windows Update window when done.

Thats it.

You should try this to turn on/off your Vista's automatic updates:-

1. Click the "Start" button on the taskbar or press the "Windows Key" on your key board (located to the right of the Ctrl Key and left of the Alt Key)

2. In the search box enter the words "Windows Update" without the quotes you can copy the text directly from this page to make it easier.

3. On the left side of the window that opens it will have a list of options click on the option labeled "Change Settings".

4. After that you will have to make some choices. If you select "Install update Automatically" then you simply pick a time that is good for you and your computer will download the updates and install them when you are not on your computer.

If you select "Download updates but let me install them" then you will download updates in the background while you are using your computer and then will ask you are the files are downloaded if you are ready to install them.

If you decide to select "Never Check For Updates" then your computer will never download or install updates.

5. If you select "Never Check For Updates" then it is highly recommend that you open "Internet Explorer" and visit "http://update.microsoft.com" at least once a month and install any updates that are labeled critical.

I'll make you know how to solve your problem, but remember you must set Windows to automatically install recommended updates, which can address non-critical problems and help enhance your computing experience.To make it on/off, just go through this :-

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Choose the option that you want.

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box, and then click OK.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.