Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Customize Desktop
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009

Flash sites makes computer to freeze

hello everyone,
As my title indicates, I have a problem with the contents of flash on certain sites.
At the end of a certain time my computer freezes completely and I am obliged to start the pc again with the reset button.
I tried to uninstall all flash softwares (adoble flash, shockwave, activeX) then to reinstall but I always have the same problem.
I specify that this problem touches all the browsers which I could test (firefox, IE8 RC1, chromium) and that I turn under Xp sp3.

Here is, if somebody knows the solution with my problem I am very grateful.
Thank you
Old 02-03-2009

Re: Flash sites makes computer to freeze

So as a first option I would backup all your Data and then start to play. If you mess up it doesn't matter.

First I would run System File Checker from the Run Box or Command Line Prompt all you need do is open the Run Box & type SFC click on Through and the run the application. You'll need your original Install or Recovery CD to restore any altered files and once that has run and you have rebooted you'll need to reapply all the patches & Service Packs that have become available since the original install. But if you have a problem Windows File that will fix it up.

If that doesn't work you can drop in your Original Windows XP CD and boot off that and do a repair install.

If you have encrypted your files remember to disable the encryption when you back them up or you'll need to save the encryption key.

But it's much safer not to save your data encrypted.

If that doesn't work your only alternative is to blow away the Windows Install and wipe the drive with a Utility like Boot & Nuke.

and then reinstall the OS & Software. This utility writes zeros to every sector of the HDD so it will effectively be a clean install and you'll have none of the data left over from the previous install to potentially cause you problems as even formatting the drive only writes to every third sector so you have 2/3 of the drive untouched and the possibility that some corrupt data can come across from the previous install.
Old 02-03-2009

check the device manager for any yellow alerts..click the view tab-click "show hidden devices"
remove any yellow conflicts and reboot
Old 02-03-2009

Here is what I would do first: (if firefox does not work)
- Disabling all add-ons could tell us what the culprit is. Does this resolve the issue?
- I'd then check for viruses / scumware by doing the following:
- Download and install Ad-Aware & Spybot
- Update them and run them.
- Does it work? if no:
- Download Avast Antivirus
- Uninstall your current anti-virus software and see if the problem is resolved (I've seen AVUs cause this)
- Install Avast
- Update Avast
- Run a scan while disc'ed from the internet

If these fail, I'd run an SFC /scannow from start/run/command )if you have the Windows CD.

TechArena Community > Software > Customize Desktop
Tags: