Thread: NO START Button

NO START Button

Hi using XP Sp3 here. All of a sudden my taskbar is gone. I can't find it, so I have no Start button to click on, no quick launch start programs from - I can't even see what time it is! How do I get it back?

thanks

Re: NO START Button

Refer this similar threads:

Start button not working - FIXED
    Start button not working

Good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Bring up registry editor via the task manager (type regedit and Enter) There are 2 registry keys in the registry that are causing the problem. It affects the explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe files. This are the keys that need to be deleted...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe

Once these keys are deleted the desktop and internet explorer should come back to life.

I had the same problem. No start/Task bar but I did have a few Icons available. I had installed another graphic card giving me another monitor output, when this is done windows installs multiple monitor support. I only added the card for better resolution on my new monitor verses the on-board output. Anyway when this is done windows had a setting (option) in the display properties for one of the monitors that if checked it would extend my desk top to the other monitor, well I only have one monitor connected and it wasn't designated as the number 1 monitor. I unchecked the box "Extend my windows desktop to this monitor" and that fixed my problem. I don't know how it got that way because the only thing I did when it happened was opened the case and took out my CD and DVD re-right drives to get model numbers to update drivers. This setting can be found by right click an open area on the desktop then choose "Properties" then "Settings" tab then choose a monitor to view its' properties and remove the check box applicable "Extend my windows desktop to this monitor" only one of them will have it available with 2 monitor capability.