Thread: Invisible User Account

unsure Invisible User Account

Hi,,

I am having a Desktop PC at my home,4 members of my family works on the same pc. Due to some reason i want hide my user account. Is that possible that my account get invisible to them?

smile Re: Invisible User Account

You can do it but remember a hidden user account is like an invisible man, you can’t see the man, but his shadow gives him away.
    to do it , follow this steps:-

1. Click on Start and go to Run. Enter regedit and wait for the registry editor to come up.

2. Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on the left side of the registry. Click on the cross on the left of the folder to expand the folder.

3. Now go to SOFTWARE. Expand this folder.

4. Look for the Microsoft folder and expand.

5. Now go to Windows NT. Expand this folder until you get to CurrentVersion.

6. Expand the CurrentVersion folder so that you can get to Winlogon.

7. Expand Winlogon and go to Special Accounts. Expand Special Accounts until you get to UserList.

8. Now look at the right hand side of the registry. Can you find Name of Account to be Hidden? If you can, go to step nine. If you can’t find the value, you will have to create Name of Account to be Hidden using the steps below.

A) Right click on the right hand pane of the registry editor.

B)Select New and then select DWORD.

C)Rename the new DWORD Name of Account to be Hidden or just right click on the new DWORD value and select Rename.

9. Double click on Name of Account to be Hidden. This will bring up a new box.

10. Enter 0 if you want your account hidden. Enter 1 if you want your account to show up on the Welcome screen.

11. Exit the registry and reboot.

And now you are done..

Re: Invisible User Account

However, showing and displaying of user accounts on the Welcome Screen is probably a weakness in the security point of view,In order to hide a user account (which also means create a hidden user account) in Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, just go to Control Panel User module and create an additional user as usually do (Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts in Windows 7 and Windows Vista).

If you already have an existing user that wants to be made hidden, invisible or disappeared from Welcome Screen, then go straight to this steps;-

1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit.exe).

2. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

3. Select UserList, and in the right pane, right click on any blank space, and point to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.

4. Name the new DWORD registry value name as the exact same name that match the name of the user account to be hidden.

5. Double click on DWORD registry value, and set the value data to 0 in oder to hide the account from Welcome Screen. To display the user account on Welcome Screen again so that it’s visible again, delete the registry entry, or set the value data to 1.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Log off or restart computer to make the change effective.

star Re: Invisible User Account

To do so follow this steps;-

• Click Start -> Run
    • - Type regedit and press Enter
    • - Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    • - Create a new DWORD Value of "Type Name of Account to be Hidden without quotes"
    • - Set the Value Data to either 0 or 1 (0 = Account is Hidden / 1 = Enabled)
    • - Close regedit

While the account is hidden on the Welcome screen, that the account profile will be visible in C:\Documents and Settings or as well as in Local Users and Groups.

In order to login into Windows using an user account that has made hidden and invisible, just press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Windows Logon dialog, and then type in the user name and password manually.

I've tried to do this, but I can't find the SpecialAccounts under Winlogin, and can't figure out how to make it. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessarose View Post
    I've tried to do this, but I can't find the SpecialAccounts under Winlogin, and can't figure out how to make it. Help?
    How is it possible Which operating system are you using? I meant which OS and which Service pack?

It is the registry path and it should be there. Check once again.

jaikanth123 Guest

THE “Ctrl, Alt, Del” to reveal hidden users in Win7 logon screen does not work.

Here is how I fixed it so that I could get back control of my machine.

Grab a copy of Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

Create the boot cd from the .iso

Boot with the cd.

Choose “Promote User” from the menu.

Promote a normal user to an admin user.

Save changes and reboot into win7.

Login with the newly promoted user and delete the registy entry previously created.

Logout, and the hidden user now shows on the login screen.

Note to the author of this site: PLEASE UPDATE THIS TIP TO POINT OUT THAT THIS WILL CRIPPLE A WIN 7 MACHINE!!!