Thread: System Tray Icon Missing, Shell32.dll problem

System Tray Icon Missing, Shell32.dll problem

Several fixes have been mentioned in the past for the WinXP System Tray I have tried several fixes including clearing the Icon streams and Past Icon streams in the Registry. The problem always returns.

The link below indicates that the problem is actually an insufficient timeout period in Shell32.dll.

Has anyone tried this fix?

My processor and disk are both somewhat slow so that could be a factor in triggering the timeout in Shell32.dll.

I'm a little hesitant to install the patched Shell32.dll file until I understand the risks somewhat better.

http://winhlp.com/node/16

Re: System Tray Icon Missing, Shell32.dll problem

I'm assuming that one or more icons that should be in your taskbar next to the clock are missing.

Trying the PastIconsStream cleanup solution was a good idea. The cause that this solution fixes is also related to issues where desktop icons fail to load properly. I've never heard of it affecting the taskbar icons but it's good that you tried it.

As for the Shell32.dll fix, I haven't personally disassembled the shell32.dll file so I'm not sure how his patch is fixing this issue but the explanation seems sound. The patch is basically increasing the response time from 4 to 60 seconds and clearing the ABORTIFHUNG flag. He does mention to set a restore point and there are responses that validate this fix but in the end, the decision to try it is up to you.

I would recommend trying the "Now" version first to see if at least some of your icons appear, just to verify that it is in fact caused by a delay in the "Shell_NotifyIcon" call. I would try doing the setting of the UPnP and SSDP services to automatic first.

To do this, go to Start, the Run. In the dialog box type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and hit Enter. Scroll down in the list to find SSDP Discovery Service and double-click on it. Under the General tab change the Startup type to "Automatic" and hit Apply then OK. In the Services list, scroll down again to Universal Plug and Play Device Host and double-click on it. Under the General tab change the Startup type to "Automatic" and hit Apply then OK. Restart your computer and see if that solves it. If not the change them back and try the Shell32.dll patch.

Re: System Tray Icon Missing, Shell32.dll problem

You might want to explain a bit better what you mean by "the WinXP System Tray Missing Icon problem." I've never heard of such a problem.