Thread: Moving the Start button along with Task bar

Moving the Start button along with Task bar

I've really become fond of having the start button live on the left side of my display in xp. In Vista I have tried everything from clicking and dragging to yelling at the start bar, but it doesn't seem to want to leave the bottom of the screen. Anyone know how to change this? I have heard that I will need to move the taskbar as well for this. Is it?

Re: Moving the Start button along with Task bar

First right click the task bar and select properties from your choices (usually at the bottom of that menu). Then on the taskbar tab make sure "Lock the taskbar" is unchecked and click ok. Now just position your mouse pointer directly over the taskbar, click, and drag it to the top, bottom, or side of the screen to move it. If you don't want it moved from that location follow the first steps again and make sure the "Lock the taskbar" box is checked. It's simple - you'll do fine.

This is not the way it is working anyhow. It is for XP and wont work in vista. I have already mentioned that I am looking for vista. This method I had already done in XP. But thanks for responding quickly.

Click on the "Start" button, then hold down the ALT key while pressing the minus sign. A menu will appear where you can move or close the "Start" button. Go ahead and move the "Start" button - it works, but will soon move back to its 'proper' place. Close down the "Start" button and you'll make it a little tougher to shut down the machine. If you do this, you can always shut down the machine from the window that appears when you press CONTROL - ALT - DEL.

The Start button is located on the taskbar. Although you can't remove the Start button from the taskbar, you can move the taskbar—and the Start button along with it.
    1. Right-click an empty space on the taskbar. If Lock the Taskbar has a check mark beside it, click it to remove the check mark.

2. Click an empty space on the taskbar, and then hold down the mouse button as you drag the taskbar to one of the four edges of the desktop. When the taskbar is where you want it, release the mouse button.

I don't believe there is a way. You can use the classic menu, which puts it back similarly to XP, or make a shortcut to your desktop.