Thread: Cannot open Gif files in Windows Vista

Cannot open Gif files in Windows Vista

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate last month and everything is running great (luckily no problems like everybody else) but one thing that i've recently found out is that for some reason it wont open and GIF files. I ran a test by creating a picture on photoshop and paint and saving them under jpeg and gif. The exact same picture was able to open as a jpeg but not as a gif. Is this a common problem? The error i receive is similar to this: Windows cannot find "File Name". Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. I even made a gif on my laptop running XP which runs find on the laptop but wont work in Vista. Any help would be greatly appreciated, you guys haven't failed me yet.

Re: Cannot open Gif files in Windows Vista

Try to reinstall Irfan View and select all the File Extensions.

Try ACDsee also which is equally good. It has an option to associate the files each time it is started.

For reasons best known to microsoft, they've decided photo gallery will not to support gifs.

You can associate them with Internet Explorer, (or any internet browser) which should work.

There's also this program http://www.download32.com/windows-an...er-i19820.html but I don't know anything about it.

Hope this helps

Find any .gif file and left click it once to highlight it then hold your shiftkey down and right click the highlighted .gif file, release the shiftkey and click "open with", scroll down to IExplore and left click it once to highlighted it then put a checkmark in the "allways use this program to open etc." box then click OK. This should reassociate your .gif files with Internet Explorer which is the default Windows program for opening .gif files.

Hope This Helps

Yeah try this. Locate a .gif file in Explorer and while holding the shift key down right click on it and select "open with" on the menu. When the open with screen pops up scroll down and click once on IExplore or Explorer (doesn't matter) to highlight it and then put a check in the little box where it says "always use this program etc..." and then click ok. Do they open in a browser window now? If not what happens when you click on one to open it?