Thread: Aviary, the answer to Adobe's monopolist prices

Aviary, the answer to Adobe's monopolist prices

Just came across Aviary. Looked through it and wondered if this could be the answer to Adobes monopolist prices! Anybody out there who made experiences with it?

Aviary - http://a.viary.com

Re: Aviary, the answer to Adobe's monopolist prices

I personally have not used it, but anything that brings some competition to Adobe is a good thing in my book. Adobe has been very stagnant over the years as far as pushing the envelope with their products, every year or two they upgrade their software with some new shiny toy and charge us hundreds or thousands of dollars to upgrade, but at the end of it all it's still the same product with the same set of core functionality, nothing really new, and they typically never address any of the usability issues in their programs that much of their own community has been complaining about for years.

I think Aviary is a great tool if you are not at home. But i have many problems with the usability of the software, because there are still some bugs. But personally, I don't think it could tackle Adobe's Creative Suite.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post
    I personally have not used it, but anything that brings some competition to Adobe is a good thing in my book. Adobe has been very stagnant over the years as far as pushing the envelope with their products, every year or two they upgrade their software with some new shiny toy and charge us hundreds or thousands of dollars to upgrade, but at the end of it all it's still the same product with the same set of core functionality, nothing really new, and they typically never address any of the usability issues in their programs that much of their own community has been complaining about for years.
    I completely agree. Adobe is kind of "scamming" us. I haven't used Aviary yet... but I will definitely look into it. The site design looks amazing!

No. I tried the photo editing app and it is no where as powerful as Adobe Photoshop. Don't get me wrong A.viary is a great online photo-editor and definitely beats photoshop express. But its not powerful. Another thing is it's not exactly user friendly. So I would recommend something like picnik who wants to use something online to edit photos.

I don't believe that it's going to be easy to beat photoshop. It has become a regular thing (al those psd to html services for example), it's something like google. Most people already think 'to google' is an official verb.

Yeah, I think Aviary will remain a niche product as Adobes product palette became, especially for image editing, a kind of industry standard.

Haven't used it yet, but i'm going to try it definetly just because the site design is pretty cool