Thread: Restore Vista default fonts

Restore Vista default fonts

I was suprised to see that my default fonts used in Vista had changed. Even when i was typing, i saw that the text were written in bold letters. When i was trying to search on google, all the results appears to be in italic format. Even when i tried in notepad it showed me in the same format.

Is there any way by which i can get back the default font by installing or by mean of running vista cd?

Thanks.

Re: Restore Vista default fonts.

Hey dude me having the same problem. From last half an hour i'm facing the same problem. In my pc many window boxes & apps are using the bold fonts, especially the Task Manager. Some of the other stuffs are appearing in italics like notepad.
    It happen immediately after I updated Adobe CS4 and some other Adobe components. Are you facing the same problem?

I'm trying my level best to solve the problem, but yet not successful.

I'm still trying to restore the default fonts, but no success so far. Sad

Ok, I have the following steps to perform.

I don't know whether it is linked with Adobe, but anyway I just uninstalled all those products, but nothing seems to be working for me.

Anyway I used Google Chrome, which helped me a lot to "debug" this issue.
    I went on a website which gave me an idea that the fonts were wrongly displayed. Then I went on the Google Chrome inspector, which gave me an idea actually which font to be used.

Anyway in fact unknowingly our Vista had unregistered the "normal" shape of some well used fonts, such as Tahoma, Verdana, & Courrier New, keeping them into their bold & italic shapes.

For that you have to open a command-line window:- (Open the "Start" menu -> type "cmd" -> press "Enter"), then type the following:

cd %windir%\fonts
    move cour.ttf "%userprofile%\desktop"
    move tahoma.ttf "%userprofile%\desktop"
    move verdana.ttf "%userprofile%\desktop"
    exit

Then you would be able to see those three files on your desktop. Now simply right-click on the file, and then choose "Install" option.

That's it, now you don't have to restart your Windows, you can see that your fonts are back to the normal one.

Now Cheers!!

If you find it difficult with the command-lines, then this is the simplest way to save the file. Just right-click on the the file and save it. You can double click on the file to import its data, then you can logoff and can login back into your Windows profile.

It will help you to find these lines, telling Vista where to find the unregistered fonts:

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
    "Tahoma (TrueType)"="tahoma.ttf"
    "Courier New Normal (TrueType)"="cour.ttf"
    "Verdana Normal (TrueType)"="verdana.ttf"

Interestingly I have just found the realted font.. Trebuchet MS. Geez. Hope so there are no such more fonts related to one another.

You will see above that i have added to the FontsFix.reg file.

Hey there, I am having this exact same problem. I was thinking about doing a restore but after reading your post I browsed my font folders for the fonts you have listed and they do not exist in there? Was this a virus that screwed up my default fonts?

Where would I find the 3 or 4 (can't remember the list exactly) fonts that you have posted. I would need to download the font file to be reinstalled into the registry. Please let me know if you have a solution,

Cole
    Last edited by Yogesh; 20-01-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Personal details removed