Thread: Google gives Windows Users a Gmail Gadget for the Desktop

Google gives Windows Users a Gmail Gadget for the Desktop

Google's webmail version gadget. Accessible to users of Google Desktop only, Gmail deserves some improvements.

The search engine has launched a Gmail Desktop, a version of its email service where users have access from the Windows desktop. This small software (in English) to download weighs only 79 KB. It takes the form of a gadget (widget), the user can use alone or inserted in the "sidebar" Google Desktop.

In all cases, you must have installed this application to use this client Gmail. Google Desktop combines search software on hard disks and Google Sidebar to install gadgets (just like part of Windows Vista). The application is available for download for Windows, Mac and Linux (Desktop Gmail was available only for Windows).

Since its toolbar, the user accesses to its e-mail, research or other writing by clicking on "composed". A window opens, in which just type a message and indicate the e-mail address (by typing or dip into the directory).

Practice, the service presents some deficiencies. Gmail Desktop does not automatically mailbox. It must click on the Inbox from the widget to receive new mail.

Similarly, the software is unable to directly read attachments. A message alerts the user that the email contains an attachment, but to access it needs to connect online to Gmail via webmail classic. Errors of youth, hopefully, will be corrected in the following versions.

Download Gmail Gadget

Re: Google gives Windows Users a Gmail Gadget for the Desktop

It is really good but It would be very good if there were a sound notification upon new mails.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Yes you are right , I also really like this gadget a lot, but I am still forced to use GMail Icon due to the fact of it not playing a sound when I recieve new mail. I have an mp3 file that I have the other gadget play whenever it detects new mail. If this did that I would be able to get rid of the other gadget.

Nice, i'd like the option for sound notificaiton, as well as support for themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Nice, i'd like the option for sound notificaiton, as well as support for themes.
    It is simply a gadget dude of 79kb isn't it quite enough? How can you expect all functions?

It is simply great! Thank you guys.