Thread: Customize the Start Menu Button in Windows XP

Customize the Start Menu Button in Windows XP

HI all
    I want to know how to customize the start menu icon in windows XP?

Re: Customize the Start Menu Button in Windows XP

How to change Windows Vista start button icon? See this thread you will get idea how to do that.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Change the word START:
    • Copy the file EXPLORER.EXE from your Windows directory to a temporary working directory.
    • Using a hex editor (like UltraEdit-32), open the copy of EXPLORER.EXE.

• Search for 53 00 74 00 61 00 72 00 74, which are the letters in the word "Start," separated by null characters (#00). It's a good idea to search and replace all occurances of Start in the file, as just editing this one doesn't seem to do it.

• You can replace any of the five characters, but do not change the null characters. Although you can't use a word longer than five characters, you can have shorter words by including spaces (#32) for the remaining places.

• Save the changes and exit to DOS (for Windows 9x/Me) or reboot into the Windows Recovery Console (Windows XP/2000).

• Here, you'll be able to backup the original file and replace it with your modified version. When you restart Windows, the change should take effect immediately.

Note: if you can't find START at the address above, do a search for it (make sure to include the interstitial null characters), as it may have been altered by another program.

Note: there has been at least one report that the only occurrence of S T A R T that you need to change is the last one. If changing just the last occurrence works for you, then that's all you need. If not, try replacing them all.

To change the name you can use Start Button renamer, customize your start menu easily. Good luck

Thank you guys for all your awesome replies can anybody tell me how to change icon?

Customize the Start Menu Button in Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by Melville View Post
    Thank you guys for all your awesome replies can anybody tell me how to change icon?
    The flag bitmap can be replaced by a bitmap of your choice if its the same size. The bitmap is embedded in USER.EXE which is found in %systemroot%\system32. Using a copy of user.exe and an icon editor, change the flag icons with your bitmap. There are at least two flag icons, sized 16x16 and 22x22 which need to be replaced. The different icons are there to support different screen resolutions.

If you are careful and use copies of the executables, you can make these changes. I have actually made these kinds of changes as an experiment. These kinds of bit twiddling were common in the days of DOS and Win3.x. But I personally wouldn't recommend it.