Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Pixels & breaks

Customize Desktop

Old 26-11-2008

Pixels & breaks

That pixels, breaks and resolutions is a jungle

What is the difference between the pixels and breaks? Is it the same thing?
If I print a photo, then, I see breaks? Or is it only when the pressure?

What is the difference on the dpi and ppi?

They say dpi print context?

Can someone explain simply, I would be grateful.

Old 26-11-2008

Re: Pixels & breaks

I am probably not the best person to answer this topic but I can give you a short answer until someone can better explain.

The difference between ppi and dpi

ppi (pixels / inch) is the number of pixels per unit of length which determines the resolution of the computer screen. An ordinary resolution on a screen 1024x768, which means 1024 pixels horizontally and 768 pixels vertically.

dpi (dots per inch) we press or printing is the number of color dots per inch, which determines the resolution. It uses in most contexts Dots-per-inch whether it is on display on a computer screen or printing / printing.

Raster and pixels

I am not sure but I think the pixels are meant for the resolution which said at the pictures "in the computer"
While Raster or so-called Raster points, it is used when you press photos.

So when you print a photo that is raster points you see.
Old 26-11-2008

Pixels are the grid as the image on a computer screen is built by, and PPI is the measure that defines how high resolution picture has. And some use the term ppi in many contexts. Eg. when you talk about 300ppi is suitable for printing and 72ppi for screen display.

Anything that is printed in addition to text rasterized and becomes a grid of ink points, and this grid, called the raster. The tightness of this pattern is measured in dpi.

Many people confuse these terms and using the as if they were interchangeable, but it is not so. PPI does not match dpi. An image that is 300 ppi is not necessarily 300 dpi in print, printers often have a lower number of dots per inch.

Another expression is lpi (lines per inch) used in pressure context and defines how densely break raster lines located on the printing plate.
Old 26-11-2008

Can we can say this?

Image resolution
Number of pixels per inch on the photo. 72 = web 300 = pressure.

Screen Resolution
Number of pixels that appear on the screen. Measured in ppi.

print resolution
Number of breaks points / inch. Measured as dpi.

Press Resolution
Measured by LPI.
Old 26-11-2008

Images displayed on the screen (web, etc.) does not matter if it is set in 10000000 dpi / ppi or 1 dpi / ppi. There is only one variable information that tells how to display the image. One display reads the Info Desk, but it shows everything in the PPI as the screen is set and manufactured to display images in. Usually screens show some 120 ppi. 72 ppi is the 90s.

So when people talk about image resolution (digital) they only talk about how great the picture is. 100x100 pixels or 10.000x10.000 pixels. That is when the image is printed or print that resolution in ppi / dpi significance.

Lpi is how many breaks lines per inch. Easy knees so it will be twice as many break points that breaks lines. Thus, an image printed 10x10 inches high at 133 lpi, it should at least have a dpi of 266 and 266 ppi. Then the digital image to be 2660x2660. And if we talk digitally, and in megapixels it will be around 7mp (2660x2660 = 7,075,600). Do not know if it can be explained....
Old 26-11-2008

For the number of pixels per inch is immaterial. A file is not more to have a different dpi setting (the image consists still of the same number of pixels). Believe that the standard 72 dpi is solely to get a standard size photos when printing from the Web.
Old 26-11-2008

The press / print one can self-adjust the number of pixels per inch to make the image of (even if the maximum number regulated by the printer). So if you want a small image in high resolution or a big picture that is low resolution. But the computer is the only screen resolution to determine the degree of the image displayed, so why is it only the dissolution of the number of pixels that matter then.
Old 26-11-2008

When I change the resolution figure in the picture box in Photoshop I think I see that the file size increases?
Or am I completely gone?
Old 26-11-2008

How can we increase the information in a picture? Reduce can always be done.
But if I get a picture of 72 dpi and want to increase to 250 dpi, how does it confuse the magics up information in an image?
Old 26-11-2008

You can not increase the information in an image. You can not add new pixels that are not available. You can, however, continuation of the image. So add pixels based on pixels around. This means that the picture will be really ugly and no professional would accept such an image.

TechArena Community > Software > Customize Desktop
Tags: ,