Thread: cannot rename any text file

cannot rename any text file

hello friends,
    i try to rename a new text file but it is showing file unusable if i rename that its not being in text file format
    plzz help
    thanks in advance

Re: cannot rename any text file

hi akki22m, you can handle this problem in two ways . If you want Windows to display file extensions, note the extension whenever you rename a file and be sure to type it in. For example, if you rename a file called san.txt, make sure you type New.txt and not just New. If you don't want to deal with extensions at all, configure Windows to hide them. Double-click My Computer, click Tools, and then click Folder Options, Hide Extensions For Known File Types and put a check in the box next to that entry. Click Apply and the extensions disappear from all of your files. Now you can rename anything without typing an extension, and Windows will automatically retain the extension that existed before you renamed the file. The reason reinstalling Windows solved the problem for the reader is that Windows defaults to the hidden file extension settings when it is installed.

You did not describe what exactly you did to change the icon when you attempted to do that so I can't say that contributed to the problem.

Check to make certain that show common file extensions is turned ON in the registry...

http://filext.com/faq/file_extension_information.php

Windows won't let you change a file extension with a rename unless common file extensions are showing. It may be as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by akki22m View Post
    hello friends,
    i try to rename a new text file but it is showing file unusable if i rename that its not being in text file format
    plzz help
    thanks in advance
    While Renaming a File you would Be not properly typing its extension if your files is a text files then your extension should be .txt . what you have to do just rename the file and at the End Type The Extension like " .TXT "

Hi,

Which Microsoft Office version you are using, and also let us know which format you get after converting the Original Document.

Thanks

hello friends
    thanks for ur suggestion and replys ,i had done what hardwareman suggested to check in tools and hide the files ext ,now its working,thank u very much to all u guys
    thanks bye