Thread: Is Symantec Norton AntiVirus Good or Bad

Is Symantec Norton AntiVirus Good or Bad

I am using a trial edition of Norton Antivirus. I had upgraded that to 1 year license, and now it is going to expire really soon. Here I am confused whether I should renew the license or go for any better antivirus. In almost a year my system worked fine and there are less detections. The thing that I had only notice is poor system performance. I had seen the antivirus utility consuming a prescribed amount of RAM and it is constant. Does anyone has idea about a much better antivirus or shall I continue with this one only. Thanks.

I found it nice, but really the system performance sucks after installing it. I was using AVG before. It is free but not effective. I have only 512B ram in my system and for antivirus like this you need atleast 2GB ram. I am bit annoyed with slow system. It takes long time to boot now. And I am not willing to upgrade that also. Under free edition I have choice of Avast and Avira. I am going to check the trail edition first and then only go for upgraded edition which make my job much more better.

I will advice you to renew the same. That would be much better I thin. As this antivirus is already installed in your system, adding another one and then looking for a new one is time consuming. You said you are having good experience with the same. You can upgraded to most new edition to make the antivirus more effective and on the same hand that will approve the system performance. But still if you do not agree to move ahead, then there is a tool called as Norton Removal Tool. You can use this to completely wipe out Norton settings and install the one you want.

re: Is Symantec Norton AntiVirus Good or Bad

There are two popular antivirus which are found to be effective under all threats. They are Norton and McAfee. This two antivirus offers better security support. If you want to change your antivirus, then you can think about McAfee. It is quiet better and has a trial edition also. If you renew the license the existing system performance will be continued. There are chances that if you install a new one again from scratch your system can perform better or worst. So this are things that you have to test manually. If there is no virus detected in your system then I will recommend you to continue with the same. By changing the same you will manipulate the system settings.

I had used many free antivirus and they are worthless. Each time when I swap my Antivirus I found tons of new infections. Like I was using Spybot S&R before. After removing that I installed AVG and on new scan there were hundreds of new virus found. I was fed up with this thing. I formatted the system and installed fresh windwos. I had a norton trial disc. I installed it and upgraded to 1 year license. It is working fine now. It is not better to swap antivirus, as you put your system on risk. To ensure that your antivirus is really working or not you can try some online scanners. They are available for free. You can run them and if threats are detected then your existing antivirus is not working fine.

I hope there would be a way by which we can run multiple antivirus in our system. This will allow us to have more secure system. Conflict among antivirus is common. I have a have a medium hardware system which has Windows XP Pro. O had installed a free edition of AVG. There were some malware infections before. AVG detected them all and it was found cleaned. But the virus warnings are constant. My system performance is degraded and now it is looks time to format it completely.

Why does Norton reduce the system performance to so extent. It is a nice antivirus which is very effective but it makes the system very slow. The boot time is high, games lag, and sometime the screen freezes. I removed it and installed Eset NOD32. This looks to be working fine and has nice features also. I am looking for a antivirus which act more cooler in performance. You can go with the trail edition to find the antivirus features and then upgrade to a full year license.

re: Is Symantec Norton AntiVirus Good or Bad

I had installed Norton Ghost 14 in my system. It comes with some security features. When I started creating a image recovery disc with the tool it crashed a number of time. My entire system freezed up and there was no way to to fix it by forcefully restarting. Along with this Norton Antivirus is also installed. So this two tools has screwed my system performance to great extent.
    Last edited by Prosperity; 02-08-2009 at 12:19 AM.