Thread: AVG 8 Free update failure

AVG 8 Free update failure

I am trying to update AVG 8 Free but than i am getting an error message saying "Failed to contact update server". I did not had any option in updating AVG Free 7.5, dont know what's wrong with AVG 8, any help regrading this will be highly appreciated.

I think there is something wrong with your id which is required by AVG 8 in order to update. Just cross check and make sure that you are entering correct required info and retry downloading updates. Since you have mentioned that you were having 7.5 installed in your system, i wanted to know if you had uninstalled it completely?? If not than uninstall it first using an uninstaller and see if that's making nay difference. Just make sure hat there are no files and folders in your system related to avg 7.5. There are possibilities of them to be interfering with AVG 8 update process.

I have already uninstalled avg 7.5 using revouninstaller, i dont think there is any leftover of it in my system. There's something else that i causing the issue, i wanted to add that i have tried out repairing AVG 8 installation and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it as well but no luck yet. I still get same error message saying "The connection with the update server has failed". Can there be an issue with their server? It may sound weird but i really cant think of anything else that might be causing this issue.

I wanted to know if you are having Windows firewall enabled?? If yes than you can try disabling it so that it doesn't block update server. If that doesn't make any difference in your case than you can try installing update manually. I have come across some who have tried installing updates manually and have got success. If you are having some other firewall/antivirus installed in your system than should disable them as well, Just check out the things Ive mentioned and post back the result you get.

I have disabled Windows firewall and i am not having any other firewall/antivirus installed in my system. I have tried installing the update manually but i am getting same error message with that as well. I just feel like uninstalling avg and install some other antivirus as it has been almost a day and i am left with no solution. Really disappointed, will check out for a fix today, if no avail than ill better uninstall avg and will install avast.

I have heard that there is something wrong with dns, if possible try changing dns server to any of the below one rather than dns from your isp.
    Primary DNS 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS 208.67.220.220
    Once you install it successfully you can change it back to your isp's dns, Hope that helps.

Just uninstall avg and install avast, i was running in to same issue a week ago and had tried out all possible solution that i could have but i did not had any luck. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times but it was just not making any difference. Currently i have installed avast and it is appearing to be better, it uses less resource as compared to avg and i haven't faced any issue in installing updates until now. Switching to avast will be quite worth, i always had issue in installing automatic update for avg, i used to install them manually but this time i wasn't able to do that as well, that's what made me to quit avg.