Thread: AVG Free - constant nag screen?

AVG Free - constant nag screen?

Everytime I am getting a upgrade screen on startup. This is very annoying. The screen belongs to AVG to upgrade the antivirus to a complete paid edition. It keeps on popping after a interval of few hours and does not go away. I need some way to stop it. This is one of the biggest problem with free software. They give a number of popup screen and irritates a lot. Does anyone knows any antivirus which is free from useless advertisements.

I am using AVG 7.5. This does not provides any popup on the screen. It appears only once when I had installed it. It looks this depends on the edition you are using. Try to downgrade or upgrade your edition. In that way you can get rid of those advertisement. Somehow this is the marketing strategy of such antivirus. When you keep automatic updates on, the antivirus also downloads this ads. I am using Norton here. When I purchased the system it offered me a 30 day trial. I upgraded that to full license copy and it works well. The antivirus companies just wants to keep you updated of their latest product.

I am using AVG 8.0. There is no such screen on it. It looks that your system has some adware because of which you are getting that error. When you see that advertisement go in Task Manager > Processes and see which new application is working. There may be some kind of avgnotify.exe. Terminate that. I will advice you to install AVG 8.0 as it has internal anti-spyware which looks to be capable of dealing with such issue. If possible re-install your antivirus and update it. Run a full system scan in safe mode and then check back.

A antivirus like AVG is not at all costly. You can buy a basic single pc edition and secure yourself. This is a common issue with free software. They collect updates which comes with this new ads and they keeps on popping up on your screen.