Thread: System performance degraded after upgrading to AVG 8

System performance degraded after upgrading to AVG 8

I had upgraded from AVG 7 to AVG 8. I thought it would be better and will provide more effective security. I was using the older edition from last couple of years. As the upgrade is almost free I did the same. But after that the system is working very slow. It takes a bit long time for system to startup. I am using a very old Celeron system. But still with 512MB ram this must be working well. What should I do to improve the system performance.

I have Windows Vista system. I am having the same issue. AVG 8 looks a bit resource intensive. The features are fine and I was hoping to get a more optimized edition this time. It looks AVG 8 is a problematic for older system. At my office I use the same edition on a much newer system with ram around 1GB. The RAM usage is high but as there is enough left I can work properly on it.

Get some few ram sticks. They are very cheap and I think adding a 1GB stick will simply give boost to system performance. That is the best way you can make your system work. AVG is a nice antivirus and adding new edition offers you more security. Do not forget your system specification. Buy RAM according to that only. Adding extra ram is the only way by which you can gain a bit more power to make your system stable enough.

Check your startup applications and details of processes. You can install applications like HijackThis. This application will give you a detail log of running application in your system. You can simply locate which software is causing a failure or eating high system resource. If AVG is responsible for that then it is much better to get the old edition back. You can simply uninstall that from Control Panel > Add/Remove Program and download the older edition.