Thread: Is axel.dav a virus?

Is axel.dav a virus?

There is a suspicious files on my dads desktop. It is called as axel.dav. I found the same files inside different directories. It looks that this is auto-replicating in the system. The system has Windows XP. I am confirmed that this is some kind of virus. I right clicked on that and scanned with a old antivirus installed in the system. It found nothing. It said the file is fine. But how does similar copies are created inside each folder directories. When I delete them they are generated back again. How to get rid of it.

Yes that is a virus and what antivirus are you using. It is a bit weird that the same is not detected as threat. Change your antivirus and get some better one. To remove run Task Manager. Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and go in Processes. In that look for axel.dav and click on it. Then click on End Process. Now go on System32 folder which is located inside Windows directory. The common location is C drive. Locate the file in that and press Shift + Del. Reboot your system. Now if you still see the file delete it . They will not be regenerated.

Axel.Dav

My system has the same file in many folder. At first there was some boot issue. The HP support did not helped me much. They told me to do a number of things, but nothing worked out. I had formatted my computer completely and re-installed Windows. First I had tried the same with HP Recovery disc. When I installed fresh antivirus I found that there were more than 3000 infection located inside my disc. It was really weird how they increase to such a high number. Then I arranged a disc from my friend and installed Windows back. It was clean. It look this virus has corrupted my recovery disc also.

Re: Is axel.dav a virus?

There are chances that your recovery partition is also corrupted as it is a part of file system. The virus are quiet stronger and they modifies the system files. They enter in each directory. You cannot do anything in that. Neither HP can help you. I have around 2 system which has faced the similar issue and I lost the original recovery partition. I contacted hp to provide me installation disc of my system model. They charged for that and provided it. You must scan your system thoroughly with a powerful antivirus. Avoid using pirated software and run regular updates. This keeps your system secure from various threats.

This has happen to my new system. I had just purchased that system and when I connected it there was infection in it. It looks this system is tested or used for sometime. I installed a antivirus through CD which I had purchased along with this. There are around 500 infections detected and ample of them lies in the recovery partition. This is a waste of money. If the recovery partition itself is wasted, there is no way you can make your system respond properly.

If this are new recovery disk not partition, you are talking about then you must contact the vendor and ask for a replacement. This recovery disc comes with your original operating system. You can't just ignore them. And if you go and buy additional copy of Windows, then that would be another waste of money.

That is quiet shocking. The recovery disc itself is infected then there are rare chances you will get a clean system. The antivirus might help you in many ways, but you need to buy a license copy and if that is also spoiled then you can do nothing in that. One more option that you can try is scanning with a bootable disc or connecting the system or hardware to system that has good virus protection.