Thread: RE:AVG Error Message- Reading Error c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

RE:AVG Error Message- Reading Error c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

As you can find what error I am getting when I try to install AVG. The error says some reading error c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. I had gone inside the host folder located in system32 and there are two dll files located. The one is kernel32 and the other one is shell32. Those files looks proper. Again when I tried to run AVG the same error appeared. There is no virus in my system and avg is not working. The installation is also not responding well here. If there any dll file missing error then how does those two files are listed. Are they somehow related to the error.

Once verify the host file. I think you must ignore those dll files for sometime. Update JAVA in your system. The issue lies with some other application which is either not compatible nor it is working fine to some extent. What antivirus do you had before installing AVG. It looks a clear issue of malware in your system. There are some bootable scanners that work well. You can scan your system via bootable media and locate if there any virus found.

There is a small thing that you can try. In c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ there are two host files. The one is hosts.bak and the other one is imhost.sam. I had copied the .bak file in hosts folder. And replaced the existing one if there is any. Do not forget t remove .bak from the end. One done I had restarted my system and then started AVG. There is no longer any error showing up in the antivirus. I hope it looks to be the issue of missing hosts file or simply AVG does not has permission to make changes.

Hmm, that can be effective to some extent. One thing that cam in my mind is try to install the antivirus with admin rights. This is required. If you are facing the issue with antivirus you can simply try to switch to another like AVAST. It too offer you a free trial and there are number of popular antivirus still available. You can simply get better protection out of them.