Thread: Avira AntiVir (free version) - Is this now adware?

Avira AntiVir (free version) - Is this now adware?

I am getting a tons of popup ads on my screen after installing Avira AntiVir on my system. It is a free edition and I thought to get a bit better protection. My friend has a premium edition of the same which looks to be working a bit fine. I had updated the antivirus and whenever I open my browser I am getting many ad popups. This happened after installing Avira Antivir. It looks that it is now some kind of adware and basically the issue lies with free edition only. I would upgrade that but I am not sure that this popups will be stopped or not.

That is common on free antivirus. I am using AVAST. And whenever after a new update I get a big screen with offer to buy the premium edition. Sometime there are number of new news alert also. I do not know the exact settings to disable that. But if you are not really happy with this you can switch to AVG. It is another nice antivirus which offer you maximum protection. Basically the updates are notified when the antivirus is updated.

Re: Avira AntiVir (free version) - Is this now adware?

This are common problem related to free editions. I am using a free ftp tool that gives many new offers and popups. But it is related to that software only. If you are getting many other popups on your screen then it looks your system has a adware installed. You must try to download a adware cleaner software separately. It is compatible and will work quiet nicely with the existing antivirus. It is not called as adware as the antivirus is just promoting its own products.

The adware popups are common on my system. But they are not due to avira. There is some other issue in my system. I just added a nice screen saver and it prompted me to add the toolbar. I did the same. Whenever I open any website I can see a popup on the left side related to some ads. I had scanned my system with antivirus there is nothing detected here. This reduce my internet surfing capacity and I cannot do much in that. I had checked in Task Manager, it looks nothing is running which shows up third party application causing this kind of issue. I had run CCleaner to wipe out the temp folder but that did not helped much.

There is a popup blocker in your web browser. You can enable that. I think that is disabled because of which you are getting all those stuff. By the way I am having a option by which you can disable those notification. Type secpol.msc in the run box and hit enter. This will open up the local policy settings and from there you can manage the ads. In this choose the software and modify the restriction policies.

Yes check the popup settings. That would help you to get rid of this. I do not think local policy settings are going to help much here. I am using AVG and it is quiet better compared to Avira. There are popups but that too is very less. It just does not flood my desktop with tons of ads which is a bit annoying. It is also better if you upgrade the same to yearly license.

If your system works slow then it looks that Avira consume a bit high number of your system resources. You cannot do much in that. There are some third party ad-blocker software. You can integrate the same with your web browser or simply install it. I think that will help you a bit. It is better to switch to a better antivirus that works silently and put minimum pressure on the resources.