Thread: magne2t and magne3t what is it and why does it come back?

magne2t and magne3t what is it and why does it come back?

There are two threats which keeps on detecting. They are magne2t and magne3t. It keep on re-appearing. I am using Bitdefender antivirus. It was first detected 2 days ago. They were removed and it was working fine. Then again Bitdefender detected the same while scanning. And this week those looks to appear frequently. Is this a serious issue. What should I do to permanently block them.

Those are virus and they have medium level of infection. There is very less information available on it. It is weird to find that those are detected again and again by Bitdefender. You cannot do much in that. I am doubtful about some application on your system which is downloading them. There are certain registry entries I found about this infection. You can remove them and I hope they will not be detected back again. Do not forget to keep a registry backup ready. So that if by mistake you delete some other keys you can restore that.
    • <System>=>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MAGNET Detected: magne3t
    • <System>=>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MAGNET Deleted
    • <System> Update
    • <System>=>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MAGNET Detected: magne2t
    • <System>=>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MAGNET Deleted
    • <System> Update

what magne3t/magne2t is.

This looks to be some issue with magnet link. Those one which we found in torrents and used on different network to download files. I am sure this is not some kind of threat. You can manage Windows settings to handle the magnetic url. For that go Settings > Advance and then click on Register with Windows to handle magnet URI links. Then check back whether it works or not. It safe until your antivirus find the infection and wipe out completely. There is nothing to worry much here.

Bitdefender says HKLM\Software\Magnet "Issue"

This is a issue with Bitdefender. There is nothing to worry about the same. I had sent a mail about the issue to their technical team. They replied that the issue lies with bitdefender in scanning the registry and detecting those magnet urls as threat. Soon we are going to get fresh updates on the same and the problem will be fixed. Check the link below. It has a bit explanation on magnet2t. Those are simply basic download links used by p2p software.

magne2t