Thread: how to open protocol 47 on a netscreen firewall?

how to open protocol 47 on a netscreen firewall?

I need help to configure NAT on NetScreen 25 Firewall. It looks my configuration is best and everything is working fine. But only the VPN is giving issue here. What I want that the users should be able to access VPN server through its in built feature not through NetScreen VPN. I want to avoid using the same. When I try to do the same there is a error on the screen saying that allow protocol 47. What does that means. I had enabled PPTP here. What other is pending. I am not able to find any reference on the same.

That looks a bit complicated and NetScreen is not used by many. I had found a effectie Knowledge Base article which can provide you information on configuring PPTP inbound traffic via Firewall in NAT. So I hope there would be something here that can guide you to get rid of that error.

Allow PPTP traffic inbound through a Juniper Firewall in NAT mode with only 1 publicly available IP address

The Protocol 47 refers to some block ports in terms of NetScreen Firewall. Do you have documentation. If yes then it will guide you on detailed information to deal with the issue. PPTP is actually a predefined service. It comes with IP Protocol 47 and I am not sure that there is some link between them. Just try this, generate a new service and then allow all the ports here. You have to allow all udp and tcp ports and then add protocol 47 on all. Then check whether it works or not.

After visiting a few threads I am able to find a composite solution. At some point you need to a policy that can allow trust network to access any untrusted location. Whichever that allow pptp here. This would be a simple trust to untrust policy. Now if the PPTP server lies behind the firewall and you want others to access you will have to configure MIP. Another thing you can try is creating a IP pool a group. Put the users in side the group and configure a tunnel via inbound policy.