Thread: Norton 360 Crashes Computer while Performing Background Tasks

Norton 360 Crashes Computer while Performing Background Tasks

This is getting to be extremely maddening. Nearly each time I leave my computer inactive for a sometime to run down to the corner store, for instance, Norton steps in and start performing 'background tasks'. This would be excellent and fine, apart from that while I return, I find out that all of my programs freeze up and I finish up having to do a hard reboot. It has gotten to the point that if I observe the small window in the lower right corner stating that it is performing background tasks; my heart goes under as I know that I have another collide on my hands. I observe that others have had same troubles in the earlier period. Is there a method or any technique to medicine this?

Re: Norton 360 Crashes Computer while Performing Background Tasks

This is the similar trouble I have had. I have reinstalled Microsoft windows 7 quite a lot of times because of the hard boots and dishonesty it causes the hard drive. I hope there was a genuine fix to this. And switching ON silent mode is the most excellent thing I have establish which assists. This won't fix anything, but it will end any background tasks from occurring.

I wish there is a genuine fix for this also. I paid excellent wealth for this product and I am so far very unpleased with the way it is functioning. I am as well underwhelmed by the reply I have gotten to this problem. But it is Friday, so I will permit some time to get a reply from someone who can correctly address it. But I do wish I will not be kept waiting too extended. I have had two further crashes. I have activated Silent Mode. I wish it will work, but as well wish that it does not have to be more than a stop gap measure.

1. verify if you have any entry for Norton Scan in Windows Task Scheduler. If you have, please eliminate it.
    2. Run Live Update frequently until you receive all the existing updates, and after that run a complete Scan. Ensure if the Scan completes and spots any threats.
    3. If the complete Scan does not complete, then restart your PC into Safe Mode and after that attempt to run the complete System Scan.
    You may as well attempt to run Norton Power Eraser tool. Make sure if it spots any threats and if it does, please give me the filename and additional details. Don't fix any files now; you can fix those later than receiving confirmation in this thread.

My friend also has the similar problem and here is what I have done to her computer to provisionally stop the crashes until a lasting fix can be figured out.
    1. I have her functioning Norton 360 in silent mode at present because I don't require the background idle scans to begin.
    2. I shut down disk optimizer in task scheduling
    3. I shut down idle time optimizer in administrative settings
    4. Locate idle time to 30 minutes
    5. Maintain turning silent mode on each time it ends. My just anxiety is in silent mode the virus definitions and virus or spyware scans don't run so she has to memorize to run them physically. I read someplace that if idle time optimizer has attempted to run and did not finish, it will persist to attempt and run until completion even though you have it switched off. One time it finished then it will not run yet again since it is switched off. I don't know if this is right or not and I don't wish to test it out because I don't want any further crashes.

I can't believe I found this!! I have been having this problem for weeks. I thought I had to spend hundreds of dollars to take my 1 year old computer in to have it fixed. These threads are from 2010 and Norton hasn't fixed the crashing problem yet??? HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat48328 View Post
    I can't believe I found this!! I have been having this problem for weeks. I thought I had to spend hundreds of dollars to take my 1 year old computer in to have it fixed. These threads are from 2010 and Norton hasn't fixed the crashing problem yet??? HELP!!
    Have you tried to put the antivirus into silent mode? It is a partial fix that will stop any background tasks that is occuring. Also see to it if you have Norton Scan in Windows Task Scheduler then immediately remove it. You can also try to run Norton Power Eraser tool and ss if that helps you out, below is its link:
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/DIY/index.j​sp