Thread: What are these mToolkit programs on my Dell laptop (Can I just remove them?)?

What are these mToolkit programs on my Dell laptop (Can I just remove them?)?

I have a Dell laptop. It is has Windows XP. It is running a bit slower so I thought to get rid of some unwanted software in the system. While going on Control Panel > Add/Remove program I found a set of utilities called as mToolkit. I never saw this before. There applications that I found associated with it is - mIWA, mIWCA, mLogView, mMHouse, mPfMgr, mPfWiz, mProSafe, mSSO, mToolkit, mWlsSafe, mXML, mDrWiFi, mHlpDell, etc. I never use them and I think there is no need to keep them in the system. Is there a way to delete them or should I un-install it completely. Will that affect my systems performance and it will work fine. I do not want to generate more errors here.

I think they are installed in your system through some update or third party software. If your antivirus says them clean then avoid removing it. Go in Task Manager > Processes and see which application is eating more system resources. You can then one by one get rid of those which are not required. Second thing I tried to locate the information on mToolkit on Google. It is associated with some Eclispe software which is used in development. I am sure that is safe and it is not going to hamper your systems performance.

You can ignore that. It looks they are installed in your system by mistake. And even removing them will cause nothing. This toolkits are used for some Java programming. It does not install on its own. There would be some other reason due to which your system is working slow. You can a tool that can create log files of services running in your system. You can locate the service eating maximum resource and get rid of it. You can also download and install Process Explorer. This is another powerful tool that is quiet useful for tracing resource intensive application.

Re: What are these mToolkit programs on my Dell laptop (Can I just remove them?)?

Those can be a bit helpful file for your OS. There is very less information available on it on Google. Process Explorer is right answer I think. You can run that to find whether any of this service is running or not. You can then remove it. Because if anything in your PC is using it, you might be not able to get stable system after un-installing it. For slow thing you need to locate which application is causing the same. In my system when Windows download fresh updates you basically face the issue. There is nothing much you can do in that.

Re: What are these mToolkit programs on my Dell laptop (Can I just remove them?)?

Try and download Hijackthis. This is a simple software which scans your system and generate a detail log file of each and every service running in the background. If you find anything suspicious you can search about that on Google. It will give you a clear way of getting rid of it. Also do not forget to check your Startup. Go to Start > Run < type msconfig. In that go on Startup and then uncheck the services which are not needed. In this way you can get rid of those services which are not actually required.

Run CCleaner. It will cleanup unnecessary files from your system and giving a bit boost to the same. Run disk defragementation also. It is another good way of making your system more secure. There can be some overloaded application in your system which had make the system slower. It is sometime the antivirus also which cause the same issue. You cannot simply ignore the performance. To make it better you have to a bit major changes which is quite not easily achieved.

I have a Toshiba laptop and those same files are present in it. I had not removed that. I thought that might a bit risk or it would affect any other software to crash. I test number of new software in Windows and think that it come through some of them.

It would be better if you can give a bit more detail on fixing the issue. I am not able to understand what you guys really want. Do you want remove that, or you are thinking those files as threat or you want speed up windows. There are many things which are mixed together. Also it would be better if you provide more detail about the same.

Here is detail about my system. It is a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 Laptop. The model number is T2050 which has a 1.6Ghz processor and 80GB storage. The ram is 2GB and it has Windows XP MCE 2002/2005 SP3. The antivirus that I am using is MSE and WinPatrol Pro. I had also installed Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware. The files which I found doubtful in my system is mCore, mDrWiFi, mHelp, mIWA, mLogView, mMHouse, mPfMgr, mPfWiz, mProSafe, mWlsSafe, mXML and mZConfig. I scanned my system with Hijackthis and did not located any instances of this file. So just want to know that removing this will be helpful.

Below all the service is related to wifi configuration on your system. You can see a bluetooth or wifi icon on your system tray. This services are related to them, and if you stop them, your wifi might not work properly. This includes an dianostic utility which altogether work to provide better access to wireless services. You can disable many of them from msconfig if you are not using a wifi service. Click on start > run > msconfig > services/startup
    mCore -- This is an activex component to recieve and send sms from computer. It is an software by Logix mobile
    • mDrWiFi - This is an Intel Wireless Troubleshooter service provided by Intel
    • mHelp --- No much info, it can be related to the above service
    • mIWA --
    • mLogView --
    • mMHouse --- This is an Intel Wireless Event Viewer
    • mPfMgr --
    • mPfWiz
    • mProSafe
    • mWlsSafe
    • mXML
    • mZConfig

The HJT log also has the following entries listed twice:

Below are essential services which are needed for your system and if they appear more than on time that means there are multiple applications running in the background with are using it. There are very less chances that this files or above mentioned can be related to any infection. But do keep an eye on your application list by scanning your system.
    • Adobe AIR
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    • Windows Media Format 11 runtime
    • Windows Media Player 11