Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .exe is not a valid Win32 application error message

Error message: "Not a Valid Win32 Application"

I have windows XP and I'm trying to back up my quickbooks to a CD but it keeps saying:

"not a valid Win32 application."

What does this mean and how can I fix it"

add'l info:

I've tried to back up my files in both the D drive and E - (CD and US Memory stick) both say:

Not a valid Win32 Application

(PS. I'm terrible with computers, please help if you can. Need to get this CD to my accountant asap for taxes)

Computer is Core Processor 3600+
    2.01 GHz, 960 MB of Ram
    AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Duel
    Last edited by skacey; 31-01-2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: add'l info

. exe is not a valid Win32 application

When you launch an executable file, Windows displays a message like:

Application name is not a valid Win32 application

Download

If the application in question was uploaded to the Internet, it is possible that it was corrupted during download. In which case just download the file again.

IDE controller badly configured
    • Right click on My Computer and select "Properties."
    • In the System Properties, select the Hardware tab then Device Manager
    • Double-click the IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers
    • Double-click on Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE channel.
    • In the tab "Advanced Settings, under the Device 0, ensure that the command is set to DMA if available and not PIO only.

CD / DVD unreadable

If the error is caused by a defective media, it is possible:

• Trying to read the CD / DVD in another drive
    • To clean with a soft cloth and water (no soap)
    • Attempting to retrieve the data with software like the free version of WinISO, which can extract the corrupted file.

Re: . exe is not a valid Win32 application

File system corrupt

To check the integrity of protected system files, run the following command:
    sfc / scannow

File unregistered

If the error occurs at the opening of files, click Start / Run, then enter and confirm the following command:
    regsvr32 / i SHELL32.DLL

Virus / spyware

The problem is most likely an infection Bagle.

Re: "Not a valid Win32 application"

well unless... you have a 64bit processor... and ur just runnin windows xp for the hell of it.. then u decide to upgrade to vista 64bit ... ...OR you're running both OS's on different partions... its all very possible... except for the whole booting a 64bit OS in a 32bit OS... that one is not possible, but boot from the disc and it should be alright.

(Null) not a valid win32 application

I had installed Windows Xp along with Microsoft Office 2003 on my pc. The problem is that when i try to whenever i try to open Microsoft Word it gives out an error message stating that "null is not a valid win32 application". But some of the programs of MS-excel seems to be working on my system. So, can any body tell me that what i need to do in order to get rid of the above issue? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: (Null) not a valid win32 application

I think you need to go in to your Microsoft Office and then try to go in to Repair option and try to repair it. Might be that some of your files may have been corrupted and that may be the reason which might cause your the above problem on your system.

Check out whether you system is been not affected from any kid of viruses. Try to scan your system with some good recommended antivirus program. It might help you to get rid of viruses if your system may be affected from it.

I think you need to uninstall your Microsoft Office from your system then you need to reboot your system in order to reset your settings, then try to re-install Microsoft office on your system and then reboot it in order to check out whether it works properly or not on your system.

(***) is not a valid win32 application...

I am quiet irritated with a error that I am facing a number of times. First I was getting a continuous popup on Windows Security alert about some virus file. I did not checked what was it. I click on ok to wipe out the settings and thought it would be ok. But now I am getting a popup constantly to purchase that antivirus. It looks I downloaded some fake security tool and my system performance has degraded now. I cannot do anything here. I downloaded some good antivirus from my friends system but not able to run the setup as the .exe file is giving invalid win32 error. I cannot even surf internet to collect some new updates. It looks the virus has done some serious changes in my system which I cannot restore. The system is super slow and my cpu usage goes to 100% everytime. When I run System Restore to find old restore settings, it was disabled. My system is completely screwed up and I do dot know how to fix it.

That is a bad news. Your system is damaged. System restore can do nothing even if it works. This are fake antivirus which you must never click or install. They will force you to buy some stuff which is a scam. To wipe them out you need a comprehensive guide that has each specific detail about the service. The process to clean and remove files. There are different cleanup software available which might help you to some extent. If your system has a recovery partition then backup your data as soon as you can and restore the OS. That would be working well I think.

Try too boot your system in safe mode. I think that would be working well. Mostly this fake antivirus can be removed from Control Panel, but still after removing them some of the files are left behind. You must run Task Manager or tools like Hijackthis to locate the associated application. It can be listed very soon. Malwarebyte is a powerful tool that can help you to deal with this kind of infections. It is necessary that you must take your data backup.

Re: (***) is not a valid win32 application...

There are around 6 computers in my workstation. Alongwith this there is a server also. At some workstation, a users has installed a fake antivirus. It was done by mistake. Now that went to the all the system in network. I had done many things to get rid of it, but once it is cleaned, it come back automatically. So this means there are chances that this malware left some files inside the system. This files multiply them automatically. The last option I was having is to re-format my computer completely and get a clean system.

I do not thing you can do much here. The antivirus mostly corrupt Windows system files which are not easy to restore. Check in task manager which application is consuming more system resource. If it is explorer.exe then there is nothing much you can do. You have to format your system and re-install windows once again clearly. If there is any other application then you can find the traces and remove each file associated with the same. Malware once spread they prevent the security application from blocking it.

This type of errors appear mostly when the .exe file is corrupted. You can fix them by replacing. Another reason for this error is malware or virus infection. As you said that your system is already infected with virus, you need to scan it with a nice cleaner which can offer you quick detection and modes to wipe out. Check some other exe files in your system. If you are not getting the error it and the installation beings, then simply re-download those files back again and then check back.

Re: (***) is not a valid win32 application...

I face this issue for the first time. I had a antivirus, but still not able to understand how virus entered. I have to install some applications which are giving me invalid w32 error. The issue is in my uncles pc which is quiet old and basic. It has Windows XP in it. I downloaded and installed malwarebytes antimwalwre. The setup was ok but I was not able to launch the tool. So I went into program files where the tool is installed and renamed the luancher to .com and then double clicked on the same. After scanning there was around 500 virus detected. I clicked to fix the issue and then rename the .com file back to .exce.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast