Thread: There are currently no logon servers available

Ovidio B. Guest

There are currently no logon servers available

heres what happend, i have 2 Win 2K3 DC's both of which are running dns. Dc-01 went down and i couldnt logon to the domain with Dc-02 because it said "there are currently no logon servers available". Should this have NOT happend since DC-02 is using its IP as the primary dns server, and it should've been able to authenticate to itself. Heres what was in the event log:

The Security System detected an authentication error for the server LDAP/dc-02. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    dc-01 - ip. 192.168.1.2 < uses it's IP as the primary DNS server

dc-02 - ip. 192.168.1.3 < uses it's IP as the primary DNS server, and uses dc-01's ip as the secondary dns server

infinitiguy Guest

Re: There are currently no logon servers available

only thing I can think of is maybe DNS wasn't working properly on dc-02 and now with dc-01 down.. it has nothing to lookup the srv records.
    "Ovidio B." <rome@nyruffryders.com> wrote in message news:%23g3IUfLsIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    heres what happend, i have 2 Win 2K3 DC's both of which are running dns. Dc-01 went down and i couldnt logon to the domain with Dc-02 because it said "there are currently no logon servers available". Should this have NOT happend since DC-02 is using its IP as the primary dns server, and it should've been able to authenticate to itself. Heres what was in the event log:

The Security System detected an authentication error for the server LDAP/dc-02. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

dc-02 - ip. 192.168.1.3 < uses it's IP as the primary DNS server, and uses dc-01's ip as the secondary dns server

Ovidio B. Guest

if it happens again, should i just reinstall DNS on dc-02?
    "infinitiguy" <derek@iona.com> wrote in message news:52005594-CD06-4D98-8D8A-FFF5A6B5D7FE@microsoft.com...
    only thing I can think of is maybe DNS wasn't working properly on dc-02 and now with dc-01 down.. it has nothing to lookup the srv records.
    "Ovidio B." <rome@nyruffryders.com> wrote in message news:%23g3IUfLsIHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

Meinolf Weber Guest

Hello Ovidio B.,

To have logon functionality you need a Global catalog server available. So
    if DC1 is down and DC2 is no GC, which i assume, then nobody can logon. Make
    DC2 GC and also if not done i would use Active directory integrated zones.
    Also the clients ofcourse need both DNS server ip addresses in the NIC config.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
    no rights.
    ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
    ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

> heres what happend, i have 2 Win 2K3 DC's both of which are running
    > dns. Dc-01 went down and i couldnt logon to the domain with Dc-02
    > because it said "there are currently no logon servers available".
    > Should this have NOT happend since DC-02 is using its IP as the
    > primary dns server, and it should've been able to authenticate to
    > itself. Heres what was in the event log:
    >
    > The Security System detected an authentication error for the server
    > LDAP/dc-02. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was
    > "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
    > request.
    >
    > dc-01 - ip. 192.168.1.2 < uses it's IP as the primary DNS server
    >
    > dc-02 - ip. 192.168.1.3 < uses it's IP as the primary DNS server, and