Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Domain Controller Multiple NIC DNS problem

Active Directory

Old 21-04-2008

Domain Controller Multiple NIC DNS problem

I am on a domain controller with 2 ip address. It usually adds both og them automatically to DNS. Can anyone tell me whether there is any way that will let me select which one of these ip address should be added into DNS and prevent the other one to be added automatically? Thanks

Old 21-04-2008

You can try to enable or disable DNS updates in Windows 2000 and in Windows Server 2003, just follow the steps given here - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246804
Old 17-09-2009

Re: Domain Controller Multiple NIC DNS problem

Hello . I have read the responses , but find the solutions rather confusing.
In my case, the second NIC card in my Win2003 DC , DNS, & DHCP server is connected to a switch dedicated for Internal Backup purposes only and with another IP subnet 192.168.x.x.
It has File and Print, MS Client, DNS and Netbios all disabled.
Yet when I Enable the secondary card, after a short while, the secondary DNS IP number is propogated thruout the primary card network and my users begin to experience connection errors.
Is there a simple solution to this?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions, I am at my wits end with this...
Old 17-09-2009

I have checked the NIC binding order with the protocols help but thats not the case for 100% of the problem. MS wouldnt suggest having a DC to be multihomed, that is, having multiple NICs in the DC connected. You can plan on changing that in the neat future rather than fixing the symtoms.
Old 23-09-2009

This is very interesting info. Where can I find your step-by-step?

What if a virtual multihomed DC is deployed and configured with a single virtual nic and a second virtual NIC is installed/configured in the last step of the installation/configuration process? Anyone has experience with this?
Old 24-09-2009

Usually a multi-homed DC is a multihomed DC, whether physical or virtual is not relevant, it is still the same thing. Check the article below for more information:

Active Directory Communication Fails on Multihomed Domain Controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;272294

Symptoms of Multihomed Browsers
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;191611
Old 07-12-2009

I accidentally multihomed my DC by plugging the network cable into the wrong NIC, I don't want it to be multihomed and have plugged the network cable into the correct NIC. Can this write up be adapted to remove the binding to the second NIC?

Every time i delete it in the DNS (which is also on the DC) it reappears each time it reloads.

Cheers guys this might just save my bacon
Old 07-12-2009

You can try to disable the unused NIC in networking section. Or, it will still try to register even with any ip address. If it is disabled then Windows ignores it.
Old 07-12-2009

Thank you so much, that has done the trick, DNS back up to full speed.
Old 11-08-2010

Guys,
I know this was the case in DC's running WIN 2000 and 2003.
Was it resolved in later versions of active directory?
Does 2008 R2 for example display the same issue with the don't multihome rules?
Rgds
Steve P

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: , , ,