Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

the box indicating that this domain contoller is the last controller for the domain is unchecked

Active Directory

Old 06-03-2008

the box indicating that this domain contoller is the last controller for the domain is unchecked

I am using Windows 2003 SP2 server DC. I have added another server to the domain and made it a domain controller. I want to demote the present server but I am getting an error message that says "the box indicating that this
domain contoller is the last controller for the domain is unchecked. However
no other active directory controllers for the doman can be contacted." I can replicate and ping the other server and I have the DNS servers set for itself and the other server but it still cant find it. I have done the R2 tools, adprep, forest prep, etc? What can I do to see the other domain controller? Also, I am getting Event ID 1126 Active Directory was unable to establish a connection with the global catalog but I am able to connect to the dc. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Old 06-03-2008

re: the box indicating that this domain contoller is the last controller for the domain is unchecked

Could you please try to post an unedited ipconfig /all from both the DCs.
Old 06-03-2008

re: the box indicating that this domain contoller is the last controller for the domain is unchecked

Also, if you do not have the support tools installed, then you can install it from your server install disk, located at d:\support\tools\setup.exe. After that run dcdiag, netdiag and repadmin in verbose mode and follow the below suggestions:
  1. DCDIAG /V /C /D /E /s:yourdcname > c:\dcdiag.log
  2. netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log (On each dc)
  3. repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
  4. dnslint /ad /s "ip address of your dc"
The description and download for dnslint can be found in the link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045
Old 18-03-2008

Are you still getting any error messages in either DC's event log or so? Have you tried to run dcdiag and not get any kind of errors? You can also try the below on both dc's from the command prompt:
netdiag /test:dclist /debug

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: