Thread: Rename Domain Controller

Rename Domain Controller

I want to rename the current DC from Group1 to Group2 by using Netdom. Group1 is the old DC with Windows NT 4.0 and Group2 is Windows Server 2003. We want to replace the old server to the new one and therefore we want to change the new server to the name of the old server. The problem is that I have disconnected the new DC from the network when I tried to rename it, so that it will not crash with the old DC in the network. But now the DC is standalone and will not connect to any network, and I want to change the DC name to Group1 but in comman prompt when I type - netdom computername Group2 /add Group1, then it will give me error message - RPC server is unavailable? Can anyone please help. Thanks.

Re: Rename Domain Controller

To rename a domain controller:

1. Open Command Prompt.
    2. Type:
      netdom computername CurrentComputerName/add:NewComputerName
    3. Ensure the computer account updates and DNS registrations are completed, then type:
      netdom computername CurrentComputerName /makeprimary:NewComputerName
    4. Restart the computer.
    5. From the command prompt, type:
      netdom computername NewComputerName /remove:OldComputerName

More information here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Could you please tell us what is the AD DNS domain name? It would be the domain name that shows up in ADUC and also the zone name in DNS. Also, whether it is in the form group1.com or group1.local, or is it just group1 without a TLD? Normally, the TLD is the top level domain name such as com, local, edu, etc.

I am working on a similar type of issue. I have to migrate nt4 domain to server 2003 active directory with no effect to the users being done.
    This are the steps that i have done
    1. Created a new domain on server2003 with a new domain name.
    2.Established relationship between nt4 domain and server2003.
    3. Migrated 2 users and ran the test of accessing drives and communicating to the old nt4 domain.

Heres the issue
    1. I have to migrate all users from old nt4 domain with no effect to their domain access on workstations.
    2.Rename the domain back to the old nt4 name.

Any sort of help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If you want to rename the domain then you will be able to do that with the System Properties dialog box. For example If you wish to rename a DC having name from SERVER101 within DPETRI.NET domain to ZEUS the go through the steps below.
    1. First of all open the System applet from Control Panel.
    2. Click on change from the Computer Name tab.
    3. You will see one warning message appears. Read that and to accept it click on OK button.
    4. Enter the In the new host name in computer name box of the Domain Controller and click Ok.
    5. From the Computer Name modify window, type the name as well as password for a user who is a member for the Domain Admins group.
    6. You will see the warning that says that you have to restart your computer. Acknowledge it.
    7. Click the Ok button and reboot your computer.

After renaming the domain can i retire the old nt4 domain by just shutting it down?

Also after domain is renamed all users and groups will they have the same persmission to files folders vpn and work station logons as they had on the old nt4 domain?

Thanks.