Thread: KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED Kerberos ID 4

KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED Kerberos ID 4

Hey guys, I’m running two domain controllers, where one is running with Windows 2003 and second with Windows 2000 server. Apart from this I also have a member server which is running on Windows 2003 server with Exchange server 2003. I don’t know what went wrong suddenly, since past few days my Event Viewer is showing up the following message:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Kerberos
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4
    Date: -
    Time: -
    User: N/A
    Computer: EX01
    Description:
    The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server my server. The target name used was cifs/dc-an-01.mydomain.local this indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named machine accounts in the target realm (COMPANY.COM), and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator.

Any idea from where is it coming? Please help.

Re: KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED Kerberos ID 4

Well I have never been through this error personally hence cannot provide you exact solution but as per my searches on web regarding this Event Error, I found a guy saying that it is related to identically named accounts - and appears to be quite popular. In order to fix the same you will need to check the DNS for any A records that have identical IP addresses.

In case you find any of them, just identify which is the current correct A record and IP. Delete the other. Apart from this you will also need to check ADUC for the identical A record machine names, for example if you see ComputerA and ComputerB both on 192.168.1.10 - one of these is out of date, and could be caused by one of the machines no longer existing on your network.

Re: KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED Kerberos ID 4

Thank you very much for the help. Today morning i ran NETDOM RESET from the member server against both my domain controllers. After the server rebooted i found that problem have been fixed!