Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer

Active Directory

Old 28-08-2007

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer

I have got 2 windows 2003 servers, one is running R2 setup as domain controllers. Couple of weeks before, the one owning the 5 roles had some processor failure and as it was pretty old I thought of replacing it. I was able to get it up and running long enough to transfer the role ownership to the other box, demote it from being a DC (DCPROMO) and remove it from the domain. After that I installed the new server from scratch using the same name and IP address as the old one, added it to the domain, promoted it to being a DC and transferred role ownership back to it. But in the new servers event log I am getting the below error message every 5-10 minutes:

1054 "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (An unexpected network error occurred. ). Group Policy processing aborted. "

Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks

Old 28-08-2007

Re: Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer

There was a fix given for this issue, check the below in quotes: http://eventid.net/display.asp?event...serenv&phase=1

Quote:
This problem occurs when the computer has the AMD Cool'n'Quiet technology (AMD dual cores) enabled in the BIOS or some Intel multi core processors. Multi core or multiprocessor systems may encounter Time Stamp Counter (TSC) drift when the time between different cores is not synchronized. The operating systems which use TSC as a timekeeping resource may experience the issue. Newer operating systems typically do not use the TSC by default if other timers are available in the system which can be used as a timekeeping source. Other available timers include the PM_Timer and the High Precision Event Timer (HPET).
Old 29-08-2007

You will need to run diagnostics against your Active Directory domain. If you dont have the support tools installed, then try to install them from your server install disk. After that run dcdiag, netdiag and repadmin in verbose mode:
  • DCDIAG /V /C /D /E /s:yourdcname > c:\dcdiag.log
  • netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log (On each dc)
  • repadmin.exe /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite > c:\repl.txt
Old 10-08-2008

Can you try to check if you have access to the gpt.ini for that GPO, using \\domainname\...... You can also try to look at this link for more information - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842804/en-us

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: