Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

netlogon timeout when attempt to demote dc

Active Directory

Old 24-08-2007

netlogon timeout when attempt to demote dc

I want to demote last DC in a site and it will do the final replication but then when netlogon is shutting down, it times out and fails to demote due to timeout. When checked in the event log, the DNS server encounters a critical error from Active Directory and the event is 4015 with the below error:

The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "000020DE: SvcErr: DSID-030F00E 4, problem 5001 (BUSY), data 0". The event data contains the error.

Dcpromo ends by saying that Active Directory was not removed and I will then restart since AD will work fine after that. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 24-08-2007

RE: netlogon timeout when attempt to demote dc

Could you please tell us where exactly is the DC ponting to for its prefered DNS?
Old 24-08-2007

It will basically first point to itself and then secondly to the main DC in the root domain. Thanks for the replies
Old 25-08-2007

Can you try to point the other root DC as its Preferred DNS server and also make sure that all the AD related records are there for both the DC being demoted and the other root DC. After that try to run DCpromo again and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2007

Intersite Messaging

I was having the same problem about 30 minutes ago. I corrected it by checking if the Intersite Messaging service was enabled on both domain controllers (we only have two). Sure enough, it had somehow been disabled on the DC that holds all the FSMO roles. As soon as I enabled the service, I was able to demote my non FSMO domain controller without any problems.

Good luck!
WhitePhantom
Old 07-09-2007

I tried the solution that you have given but still got the same issue, when netlogon tries to stop, active directory on the particular server encounters a critical error and does not complete? Can anyone else tell me whether there are some specific tests that can be run to verify AD on this server is proper? Thanks

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: