Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Group Policy -> Missing Group Policy settings

Active Directory


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 24-07-2007
Jeroen
 
Posts: n/a
Group Policy -> Missing Group Policy settings

have the following problem with group policy:

On a Windows 2003 domaincontroller I have the following group policy:

Default Domain Policy, with the following settings:

Permit Acces to the control panel , Enabled
Hide all items on desktop, Enabled

Administrator Policy with the following settings:

Permit Acces to the control panel , Disabled
Delete the run item from the control panel, Disabled

So the adminstrators has access to the control panel, and the users don't

If I use the Group Policy Management tool from Microsoft, for simulating the
GPO's is receive the following results:

For the user on a XP machine:

I see the GPO Default Domain Policy is Apllied, and the Administrator policy
is denied, so this is OK.
When I look at the settings, I see the settings for desktop and control
panel are enabled, so there not visible, this seems to be OK.

But now the administrator on a XP machine.

I see now both domain and admin policies are enabled.
When I go to the settings results, I see the following.

permit acces to control panel, disabled , winning GPO Admin policy.

This is OK, but now here is the problem, I don't see the other policy of the
desktop items, wheiter it is disabled or enabled, it just doesn't show up!

Please help



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-07-2007
Jorge Silva
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Group Policy -> Missing Group Policy settings

Hi
check if you need to upgrade your ADM files.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Also note: You only need to have the templates installed on the machine
where you administer your Group Policies, the *.inf files are just templates
from which a .POL-file gets created, filled with all Group Policy settings
you made. This .pol file resides within the SYSVOL folder and gets
replicated between the domain controllers, anyway.
Install the templates on the Group Policy Management machines, that is
sufficient.

--
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
"Jeroen" <Jeroen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:58464084-C087-4381-A6A8-ADF083D8013B@microsoft.com...
> have the following problem with group policy:
>
> On a Windows 2003 domaincontroller I have the following group policy:
>
> Default Domain Policy, with the following settings:
>
> Permit Acces to the control panel , Enabled
> Hide all items on desktop, Enabled
>
> Administrator Policy with the following settings:
>
> Permit Acces to the control panel , Disabled
> Delete the run item from the control panel, Disabled
>
> So the adminstrators has access to the control panel, and the users don't
>
> If I use the Group Policy Management tool from Microsoft, for simulating
> the
> GPO's is receive the following results:
>
> For the user on a XP machine:
>
> I see the GPO Default Domain Policy is Apllied, and the Administrator
> policy
> is denied, so this is OK.
> When I look at the settings, I see the settings for desktop and control
> panel are enabled, so there not visible, this seems to be OK.
>
> But now the administrator on a XP machine.
>
> I see now both domain and admin policies are enabled.
> When I go to the settings results, I see the following.
>
> permit acces to control panel, disabled , winning GPO Admin policy.
>
> This is OK, but now here is the problem, I don't see the other policy of
> the
> desktop items, wheiter it is disabled or enabled, it just doesn't show up!
>
> Please help
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-07-2007
Jeroen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Group Policy -> Missing Group Policy settings

I've checked my ADM files, it seems to be OK, thanks.

What I just noticed:

In the sysvol directories I find the policies. I've also noticed a directory
that is missing the ADM folder. It seems to be the Default Domain policy!

Could it be this is causing the problem?

"Jorge Silva" wrote:

> Hi
> check if you need to upgrade your ADM files.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
> Also note: You only need to have the templates installed on the machine
> where you administer your Group Policies, the *.inf files are just templates
> from which a .POL-file gets created, filled with all Group Policy settings
> you made. This .pol file resides within the SYSVOL folder and gets
> replicated between the domain controllers, anyway.
> Install the templates on the Group Policy Management machines, that is
> sufficient.
>
> --
> I hope that the information above helps you.
> Have a Nice day.
>
> Jorge Silva
> MCSE, MVP Directory Services
> "Jeroen" <Jeroen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:58464084-C087-4381-A6A8-ADF083D8013B@microsoft.com...
> > have the following problem with group policy:
> >
> > On a Windows 2003 domaincontroller I have the following group policy:
> >
> > Default Domain Policy, with the following settings:
> >
> > Permit Acces to the control panel , Enabled
> > Hide all items on desktop, Enabled
> >
> > Administrator Policy with the following settings:
> >
> > Permit Acces to the control panel , Disabled
> > Delete the run item from the control panel, Disabled
> >
> > So the adminstrators has access to the control panel, and the users don't
> >
> > If I use the Group Policy Management tool from Microsoft, for simulating
> > the
> > GPO's is receive the following results:
> >
> > For the user on a XP machine:
> >
> > I see the GPO Default Domain Policy is Apllied, and the Administrator
> > policy
> > is denied, so this is OK.
> > When I look at the settings, I see the settings for desktop and control
> > panel are enabled, so there not visible, this seems to be OK.
> >
> > But now the administrator on a XP machine.
> >
> > I see now both domain and admin policies are enabled.
> > When I go to the settings results, I see the following.
> >
> > permit acces to control panel, disabled , winning GPO Admin policy.
> >
> > This is OK, but now here is the problem, I don't see the other policy of
> > the
> > desktop items, wheiter it is disabled or enabled, it just doesn't show up!
> >
> > Please help
> >
> >

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-07-2007
Jorge Silva
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Group Policy -> Missing Group Policy settings

the default domain policy is under sysvol\domain\policies\{gpoguid}
if it's missing you can recreate it with the Dcgpofix

--
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MCSE, MVP Directory Services
"Jeroen" <Jeroen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4B3B141E-4972-45C8-84E9-F2D47BD2C2CD@microsoft.com...
> I've checked my ADM files, it seems to be OK, thanks.
>
> What I just noticed:
>
> In the sysvol directories I find the policies. I've also noticed a
> directory
> that is missing the ADM folder. It seems to be the Default Domain policy!
>
> Could it be this is causing the problem?
>
> "Jorge Silva" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> check if you need to upgrade your ADM files.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>>
>> Also note: You only need to have the templates installed on the machine
>> where you administer your Group Policies, the *.inf files are just
>> templates
>> from which a .POL-file gets created, filled with all Group Policy
>> settings
>> you made. This .pol file resides within the SYSVOL folder and gets
>> replicated between the domain controllers, anyway.
>> Install the templates on the Group Policy Management machines, that is
>> sufficient.
>>
>> --
>> I hope that the information above helps you.
>> Have a Nice day.
>>
>> Jorge Silva
>> MCSE, MVP Directory Services
>> "Jeroen" <Jeroen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:58464084-C087-4381-A6A8-ADF083D8013B@microsoft.com...
>> > have the following problem with group policy:
>> >
>> > On a Windows 2003 domaincontroller I have the following group policy:
>> >
>> > Default Domain Policy, with the following settings:
>> >
>> > Permit Acces to the control panel , Enabled
>> > Hide all items on desktop, Enabled
>> >
>> > Administrator Policy with the following settings:
>> >
>> > Permit Acces to the control panel , Disabled
>> > Delete the run item from the control panel, Disabled
>> >
>> > So the adminstrators has access to the control panel, and the users
>> > don't
>> >
>> > If I use the Group Policy Management tool from Microsoft, for
>> > simulating
>> > the
>> > GPO's is receive the following results:
>> >
>> > For the user on a XP machine:
>> >
>> > I see the GPO Default Domain Policy is Apllied, and the Administrator
>> > policy
>> > is denied, so this is OK.
>> > When I look at the settings, I see the settings for desktop and control
>> > panel are enabled, so there not visible, this seems to be OK.
>> >
>> > But now the administrator on a XP machine.
>> >
>> > I see now both domain and admin policies are enabled.
>> > When I go to the settings results, I see the following.
>> >
>> > permit acces to control panel, disabled , winning GPO Admin policy.
>> >
>> > This is OK, but now here is the problem, I don't see the other policy
>> > of
>> > the
>> > desktop items, wheiter it is disabled or enabled, it just doesn't show
>> > up!
>> >
>> > Please help
>> >
>> >

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Active Directory
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Group Policy -> Missing Group Policy settings"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Override the local Group Policy by domain policy or delete the RSOP TheTurner Windows Security 2 17-12-2013 09:10 PM
Using local group policy to override domain group policy Nickason Active Directory 3 28-09-2011 04:20 AM
Group Policy settings faults in XP Mohammad_dn Operating Systems 6 02-09-2010 09:09 PM
How to use Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy on Windows XP Afznotermi Networking & Security 3 07-10-2009 02:12 PM
SNMP settings through group policy Omar Active Directory 1 05-03-2008 09:01 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:46 PM.