Thread: Misconfigured AD

Misconfigured AD

I think I have got some Active Directory issues. I have a Parent domain with 2 child domains and an exchange server that resides in the parent domain. The one child domain is proper but the other had some problems. This problem happens if I am trying to administer the exchange permissions. From the parent controller I am able to pull up the user in the child domain and I can view the Mailbox Rights but when I try to add rights I am getting "The program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot determine whether the computer named "domain controller" is joined to a domain." When I enter close I get "Unable to display the user selection dialog box. The RPC server is unavailable." RPC is running, I have checked that according to the services. If I open up the account properties on the mail server then I get "The operation failed. ID no.:80004005. Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension". After going into the account properties on the child domains DC and trying to open Mailbox Rights I am getting "There is no such object on the server. Facility LDAP provider. ID no.: 80072030. Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension." I tried to run addiag.exe tool on the DC of the child domain and below are the reports:

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>addiag.exe /verbose:true /test:check

Microsoft (R) Software Installation Diagnostics. Version 1.00
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1998-1999. All rights reserved.

Collecting info...

Initializing Remote DS Data...
    Initializing Local AppMgmt Registry Data...
    Initializing Local AppMgmt File Data...
    Initializing Local Windows Installer Data...
    Initializing Local Shell Data...
    Initializing Local Event Data...

AD Integrity Checks

Running "Compare GPO Names with LDAP Path"...
    Check "Compare GPO Names with LDAP Path" failed.

Running "Check Darwin In Progress"...
    Check "Check Darwin In Progress" succeeded.

Running "Compare Darwin Components vs Products"...
    Check "Compare Darwin Components vs Products" succeeded.

Running "Check Darwin vs AppMgmt"...
    Check "Check Darwin vs AppMgmt" failed.

Running "Check Darwin vs Shell"...
    Check "Check Darwin vs Shell" succeeded.

Running "Compare Local Data vs Server Data"...
    Check "Compare Local Data vs Server Data" failed.

Can anyone please help. Thanks

Re: Misconfigured AD

Many of the issues are DNS based, assuming basic functionality of your IP routing and hardware. Could you tell us what you were expecting ADDiag to show? Actually, the first line tool for DC/AD problems is DCDiag run on each DC, save output to a text file and search for and fix all Fail and Warn problems. How does your Child Dns servers find the parent DNS server and thus each other? You can try to use Conditional Forwarding, Stub or Secondary zones or do forest wide replication of the zones.

Did you make sure whethere there is a firewall up between the parent and the child domain that could be having problems?

Hi Ace,

It could be that Exchange extensions are having problem communicating with the specified DC. Incase you can go into the ESM, RUS, then check in its properties for the domain RUS and see what server it is using. If you are getting error 80004005 while using Exchange System Manager then try to change the domain controller that is specified in the properties dialog box for the recipient Update SErvice in Exchange 2000:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289492