Thread: Unable to access \\domain\SYSVOL but able to access \\server\SYSVOL

Unable to access \\domain\SYSVOL but able to access \\server\SYSVOL

I am getting a group policy/sysvol issue which I would like to solve. Domain 1 and Local Domain access one of the DCs registered in DNS. Every other shares, other than SYSVOL and NETLOGON, are available. We are using domain based DFS and it is not experiencing any issues. When I directly access a DC via \\server\SYSVOL, I am able to move/change files as per the proper permissions. There were 2 system admins and one of them created a child domain and then deleted all of the DCs while leaving the empty shell of a domain intact. The other one added in different changes relating to PKIs. And one of them also added a redirection for directories in the default user's profile to the Default Domain Policy. The existing users are fine but I am not able to create new users as their profile is not usable if its intiall created. Also the plug-ins for ms office crash and ODBC connections fail as well. Below is the error that I am getting:

Group Policy Error
    Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights. Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.

Accessing the share via the "Run" line produces the following:
    \\server\SYSVOL connects to the server and all files are available with proper permissions

\\domain\SYSVOL fails with the following error

Event Logs

User: DOMAIN\Administrator
    Event ID: 1058
    Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
    CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=thisdomain,DC=local.
    The file must be present at the location
    <\\thisdomain.local\sysvol\thisdomain.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945
    F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted

Can anyone please help. Thanks.

re: Unable to access \\domain\SYSVOL but able to access \\server\SYSVOL

Check the MS Article that is made on "You cannot open file shares or Group Policy snap-ins on a domain controller" from here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839499

Re: Unable to access \\domain\SYSVOL but able to access \\server\SYSVOL

The issue in your network can be with some services which is causing the problem. You have to re-verify all of them one by on whether they are working or not. First checkout TCP/IP Netbios helper. See whether it is configured to work on automatic and the service is started. The next thing you have to see is Netlogon and the last one you have to check is Remote Procedure call service. Ensure that each of them is configured on automatic and is working fine.

Re: Unable to access \\domain\SYSVOL but able to access \\server\SYSVOL

The first thing I will recommend you to test out the network settings. See whether it proper or not. You can try reconfigure things back again one by one and check out. This might resolve the matter. The second thing you have to do is run the following command - ipconfig /flushdns. Then again try to connect. If still it is not working then there can be some internal service which is causing the issue. Check in event viewer if you can find any error associated with the problem.