Thread: DCPROMO seems to be stuck - Windows Server 2008 R2

DCPROMO seems to be stuck - Windows Server 2008 R2

I recently setup many 2008 servers and run DCpromo without looking at the problem. I have a 2008 R2 server, which is just formatted from scratch, applied some patches from Windows update. I am trying to set up a brand new domain, new everything and it has started the DC promo process. I have set it for 2003 functional level. It tells me currecntly Configuring the local computer to host AD Services. It usually should say that setup could take from a few minutes to several hours, but I have never seen it make more than 15 minutes to do a DCpromo before. It is a standalone server running 2008 on a system with a 3 ghz core 2 processor and 4gb of ram on a freshly formatted 500GB hard drive. Can anyone tell me why it seems to be stucking? Thanks

I think that installation of the Windows Domain Controller using IPv6 requires static IPV6 ip address to be assigned and I think you are following the proper way. During DCPromo the wizard tells you to change to static ip address (warning message) and also provides you a way to change the static ip address for ipv6. So what happens after you assign static ip address using the wizard and then proceeding? Are you trying to install DC on a VM? When you are creating a VM initially you will bind the NIC card to physical server through which the VM gets an ip addesss, which in turn receives IP address from DHCP server.

Re: DCPROMO seems to be stuck - Windows Server 2008 R2

Got a similar one - One 2003 DC/GC, installing second server -2008 x64.

This machine happens to have two NICs - one with static address, the other disconnected but assigned by DHCP. DNS server is pre-installed on the 2008 machine, it resolves via the 2003 machine (i.e. NIC config is like:

Address 192.168.1.10, mask 255.255.255.0, primary DNS 192.168.1.17 (the 2003 machine)..

Yeah -- I know DC's go nuts when they can't find DNS.

What I can't figure here is:

1) what I've done wrong.
    2) why the FSCK microsoft's code PUKES SO BADLY when faced with dns mis-configurations..

I'm running a Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (as DC) at home for testing, learning and using it as a fileserver for my media library.

I bought und built a new server with desktop components for replacing the old server. After successfully migrating to the new server, I've planned to use the old server as a offline backup server (only member server, maybe with OpenSolaris and ZFS).

Hardware of the new server is the following:
    - Biostar TA790GX A3+ Motherboard (AMD 790GX with integrated graphics)
    - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor
    - 2x2 GB DDR3 RAM
    - 3ware 9650SE SATA-II RAID controller
    - older Maxtor 160 GB IDE harddisk for system
    - 7 WD 2 TB green SATA drives for RAID6 set

I've done the following steps:
    - installing Windows Server 2008 R2 as a member server (joining to the existing domain). All drivers were default (from the box), except for the RAID-controller. Everything was fine and worked as expected.
    - prepared the AD from my old server to 2008 (with adprep32)
    - started dcpromo on the new server (DNS option included) yesterday evening

Last part of dcpromo wizard stayed very long (more than 20 Min.), so I went to bed. This morning, before going to work, I checked the progress. It had finnished and looked good.
    Restarted the server, but after a long time in boot phase, the recovery mode appeared automatically.
    Just shutdowned and powered of the server and tried it again. But the same result. Server is not starting to the logon window.

So, it looks like the same issue as you guys are discussing here.

Unfortunately, it seems theres no solution yet. I will trying some different setups in the next days, but don't have much hope.